VMware Cloud Community
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

Question on disaster recovery

So if something happens and my SD card that VMware on blows up so to speak and I didn't have it backed up (at least not lately) all I have to do is put a new SD card in, fire up the VMserver, add that vm server back into virtual center, Create a new virtual machine with the same processors etc. that I had on the first one, then slecting use an existing vdmk, finish the wizard and all is well? I know any settings such as the San attaching and networking would have to created from scratch.

Seemed like it worked in my test Vmserver. Did I miss anything? I always worried that the card would blow up and all would be lost.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

1. Need not to create VM and point to VMDK, instead browse datastore once you present the luns with virtual machine and right click on virtual machine .vmx file click on option add to inventory will add the VMs to the esxi and power it on.

2. more over if you have vcenter with HA license.. the VMs wil be rebooted on another available host and just incase your SD blows off .. reinstall add to cluster in vcenter and configure.. vmotion the VM running in another host.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

Add to inventory is greyed out so I cannot just add it. I must be missing something.

0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

OK, So on the new SD card the VM server fires up and the old VM's that it used to have show up in VCenter but in italics meaning it knows they were supposed to be there since I have the same datastores which I reattached. So I tell it to migrate back to the same spot on the datasores, that worked and they came back up fine. 

0 Kudos