VMware Cloud Community
chickenandchips
Contributor
Contributor

Question on VMWare vcentre convertor Standalone

Dear All,

Apologies in advance if this might seem a very basic question. I am planning to migrate one of our physical servers to a virtual server. I have downloaded the VMWare vcentre convertor and installed it on my local workstation.

1. Once I specify the destination and begin the conversatinon. When it completes does it automatically power on the converted server ? the reason I ask is I dont want to run into duplicate host names on the network. Or does it create the VMDK file and leave the machine powered down ?

2. Does it save the IP address configuration when it converts the physical server to the virtual server ? or does this need to be readded ?

3.  In the guide it ways I need to set the DPM to manual to prevent the esx hosts from getting automatically powered down once the conversation has been complete ? this concerns me as the last thing I want is the physical hosts powering down once the server is migrated across.

Thanks in advance,

Kev

0 Kudos
5 Replies
prashant88
Contributor
Contributor

1. it does not automaticaly power on the converted server.

2. it saves the ip adress config. However, it might not detect the card in the vm if the physical machine do not have drivers of the intel nic card and the physical machine has a different nic card, in that case simply removing the existing nics and adding new nics to the vm solve the issue.

4. The DPM put the ESX in standby mode after migrating all the live vms to other powered on host. it does not power the server down with running vm.

Prashant

BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

1. Once I specify the destination and begin the conversatinon. When it  completes does it automatically power on the converted server ?

Ans. Once the P2V is completed the VM does not power on

2. the  reason I ask is I dont want to run into duplicate host names on the   network. Or does it create the VMDK file and leave the machine powered   down ?

Ans. As doing P2V it convert all the Physical details same on the VM,But u can change the Details when performing the P2V with the edit settings and it 

create VMDK file and make the VM power down

eg: you can remove the Network Adapter and can change the Hostname, But after changing those setting before migrating there are chances of P2V

Failure,So convert as same as and after the successful completion of VM remove the Netowk Adapter from the VM Edit Settings and Add a New.

3. Does it save the IP address configuration when it converts the physical server to the virtual server ?

Ans. Yes it saves the IP Address Configuration, So delete the Default Network Adapter and Add a New one after that Power on VM and assign the IP 

address and Hostname

Best regards, BharatR--VCP4-Certification #: 79230, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
chickenandchips
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

Thanks for responding to my question. I managed to successfully convert the physical server which was an old Compaq DL360 to a virtual machine.

Before I powered it up I deleted the NIC from edit settings but when I powered the server up and powered the physical server downed. It complained that there was already a NIC configured with that IP address (the IP address from the physical server).

I looked in the edit settings and cant find a way of removing that NIC that was transferred from the physical server any ideas ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
prashant88
Contributor
Contributor

Go to My Computer->Manage-Device Manager-> Network Adaptor and try to uninstall/disable the old the nic driver. that shoud release the old IP.

Though the Physical nics aren't there but the drives are still present.

Prashant

0 Kudos
chickenandchips
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Prashant,

I went into Computer Management --> Device Manager --> Network Adapters

All I can see is the Intel Pro/1000 MT Network connection.

There is not a compaq driver visible.

On the physical server under device manager --? network adapters there are two NICS the Compaq NC3163 Fast Ethernet NIC.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos