VMware Cloud Community
pugmaster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question for the experts: are vsan service like vsansystem vsanmgmtsvc requiredif I don't have vSAN?

Good day,

Our VMware ESXi 7.0.2 hosts have HW Raid1 local storage only for esxi - all storage for VMs provided via fiber channel storage. We do not have any vSAN licenses or deployments. Yet I'm getting hundreds of thousands of syslogs generated by vsansystem, vsanmgmtsvc etc.

Is vSAN a core service for the running of esxi hosts even if we don't have any vSAN deployments? Can I safely stop these services? If I can stop them, how? I don't see vsan running as service in the web client. I'm happy to stop them via esxcli if someone could advise me.

Thanks!

Labels (4)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just to add, you could also leave the vSAN services untouched and exclude logs using logfilter:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.esxi.install.doc/GUID-D0D77526-65DC-4D08-A5...

Could make things easier when you're updating and those VIBs will get re-installed. However not tested myself.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Running a test ESXi 7.03 I disbled those services by removing their entry in boot.cfg.
No problems so far .... - keep a copy of the original boot.cfg to be on the safe side and are able to switch back.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Duplicate of https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vSAN-Discussions/I-don-t-have-a-vSAN-license-I-don-t-use-vS...

Reported to moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
pugmaster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks continuum. I'll give that a whack but I'm wanting to know from vmware what's going on here. 

0 Kudos
pugmaster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you let me know which .v00 (are those kernel mods?) have the vsan stuff? Or can you point me to a doc or reference I can source?

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Look for modules with vsan in the name:
vsan.v00
vsanheal.v00
vsanmgnt.v00

0 Kudos
pugmaster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

Doing my homework here, I discovered the 'jumpstart' command (can't find documentation on it) and it seems I can reboot and disable modules as found in this link: https://clearyourdoubt.com/vmware/2021/05/disable-vsan-modules-during-esxi-boot-process/

I can't find yet any documentation on what these kernel mods are: vsan,lsom,plog,virsto,cmmds but it seems this might be a first approach way before I tweak the boot.cfg file.

Do you have familiarity with jumpstart? Are those modules related only to vsan? Does the jumpstart command reboot the host? It seems I could do something like:

jumpstart --disable-plugins=<plugin>[,<plugin>]

specifically:

jumpstart --disable-plugins=vsan,lsom,plog,virsto,cmmds

But maybe I'm overthinking it. 

Any feedback is appreciated

And if you have any links to those modules, I'd appreciate it!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am a coward - before I risk using jumpstart or stuff like that I rather remove the 3 items starting with vsan and check what it does ....

Ulli

0 Kudos
pugmaster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ha thanks.

It would be nice if VMware had any documentation on jumpstart:)

0 Kudos
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just to add, you could also leave the vSAN services untouched and exclude logs using logfilter:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.esxi.install.doc/GUID-D0D77526-65DC-4D08-A5...

Could make things easier when you're updating and those VIBs will get re-installed. However not tested myself.

pugmaster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

YOU ARE MY HERO! LOL

Reading up, here's my logfilters file

0|vsanEsxcli|\w
0|vsantraceUrgent|\w
0|vsananalyticsevents|\w
0|vsandevicemonitord|\w
0|vsanfs.configdump|\w
0|vsanfs.mgmt|\w
0|vsanfs.vdfsop|\w
0|VSANMGMTSVC|\w
0|vsansystem|\w
0|storageRM|Invalid share value: 0. Using default

Note: the \w is a python regex matching (essentially) all char

Note2: I added the storageRM ident cause that was generating tons of logs

I have my esxi hosts pumping to graylog and now all the useless vsan logs I was getting (I don't have any vSAN) are being filtered out!

0 Kudos