VMware Cloud Community
SilkBC69
Contributor
Contributor

Question about reverting to a snapshot

I was doing an upgrade on one of my VMs the other night.  Prior to doing so I took a snapshot.  The upgrade went a bit sideways, so on the VM in my vCenter client, I clicked on "Revert to current snapshot" and when all was said an done I was back to where I was prior to the upgrade.  All was good again.

Currently, however, I still have a snapshot in "Snapshot Manager" that I want to get rid of.  What will happen if I click to Delete the snapshot with the VM in its current state (basically prior to the snapshot, but as the VM is an Exchange server, there have been changes to system in terms of e-mails coming in, getting deleted, moved to folders, etc.)  Can I Delete the current snapshot but not merge any of the changes from the botched update attempt?

Thanks! 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi SilkBC69​,

Firstly a disclaimer about not being responsible for loss of data, etc as I'm not at the console so cannot see exactly what you see.

Now on with the show: When you selected "Revert to Latest Snapshot" this will put you back to when the snapshot was taken however you will still be running under a snapshot. The changes made during that time will have been lost. To remove the snapshot completely you need to select the "Delete Snapshot" or "Delete All Snapshots".

So to recap:

1. Make sure you have a good backup (Snapshots are not backups)
  2. Check Snapshot Manager and confirm it looks something like this:
  3. Snapshot Manager.jpg
  4. Select the applicable delete option

Also, I'm sure you are aware, but when you reverted the snapshot you will have lost any mail or changes that were made to the system during that time as well.

Does the above make sense?

0 Kudos