VMware Cloud Community
hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor

Question about driver and firmware version compatibility

Hi, all.

I have a question about driver and firmware version compatibility.

Should Driver and Firmware match perfectly as shown in HCL?

The red box in the attached picture is currently the driver version and firmware version of my ESXi.

In this case, VMware doesn't guarantee the operation of the HBA and will it be unpredictable state ??

DriverFirmware.png

It could be a stupid question.
Please forgive me.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

better to be at the same level as VMware HCL recommends. 

from personal experience, I know already that the Server vendor can release firmware with the delay. So in this case better to wait. 

Usually, I am opening an SR to Vendor with such questions when plus/minus new Firmware will be released. 

0 Kudos
hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply! @maksym007 

Don't you recommend that the firmware be one level higher?
0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

I thought that your problem was that firmware version 12.8.542.37 is still unavailable from the vendor. And you have only 12.8.351. 

But when 12.8.542.37 is available to download, you should install it without a doubt.

0 Kudos
andiwe79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you check the HCL page for the device there should be a yellow box stating the following:

VMware Support Policy for drivers with firmware versions not listed on the VMware Compatibility Guide (VCG) IO Devices section
IMPORTANT NOTE: The following information does not apply to vSAN deployments. vSAN support requires that users only use the driver and firmware combinations listed on the vSAN VCG.

The IO Devices section of the VCG lists supported driver and firmware combinations for IO devices.The firmware listed in the Firmware Version column displays the firmware version used at the time of certification.

Over time, partners may ship later versions of firmware. VMware policy is to leave the version in the Firmware Version column unchanged. Partners are provided the opportunity to list updated versions in the Additional Firmware column, however, this is not required.VMware does not require partners to recertify their existing certified driver when releasing a firmware update. We expect that our partners have done extensive testing of a firmware update prior to releasing it. As a result, both VMware and the partner will support any certified driver when used with a firmware version equal to or higher than the level displayed in the Firmware Version column.

So firmware newer than the tested versions listed in the HCL will be under support as i understand.
Of course there can be unknown issues either in tested AND untested combinations.

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

But in case of any problems with ESXi first what VMware or Hardware Vendor is asking to do - to update firmware and drivers.

0 Kudos
hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor

Very thanks to all !!!!

I got the answer that firmware and driver should be matched as much as possible according to HCL.

Enjoy World Cup! : )

0 Kudos