VMware Cloud Community
Dkoch
Contributor
Contributor

Question about adding a Sound card to ESXI 5 // VSphere 5.5

I am using VMware for the first time in my home lab.  I've been using it for about 3 weeks now.  I have ESXI on a server with a SuperMicro motherboard that didn't have a sound card.  I added a PCI-e sound card to it today and am trying to figure out how to get the card setup to work with a Windows 7 virtual client.

I went through the steps at this link: Virtual HD Audio Hardware in vSphere 5 | Virtualization  and I was able to get everything working in the client,  however I still had no sound.

I then found info about enabling pass through, however none of the options look to be my sound card. 

I tried enabling "Intel Corp C600/x79 series chipset PCI express virtual root port" and its sub device, "Intel Corp C600/x79 series chipset SMBus Controller 0"  This didn't seem to do anything for the sound card.  However it did also enable the 4port SCU, which I cannot get to disable now and as causing me to loose 4 sata ports  (was using them as individual hard drives for vm's).

Anyone have any ideas on how I could get this sound card enabled?  It's an Asus DGX.

Less important question,  anyone have any clue how I can get the pass through to not be enabled now?  Every time I disable it and reboot it is enabled again.  I tried editing /etc/vmware/esx.conf and changing them from passthur to vmkernel as I found in an article.  Still reboots as enabled and goes back to passthru in the conf file.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
0 Replies