VMware Cloud Community
LMBalla
Contributor
Contributor

Question about Receive-Side Scaling, TOE and MAC addresses for ESXi 5.x

I am trying to find out if Receive Side Scaling is supported for network adapters on a host. I notice it in the settings within the Windows 2008 guest OS on the vmxnet3 adapter. Is it just supported on Guest OS's on VM's and not on the host?

Is TOE supported yet?

One other question. Is it valid to change the MAC address on a host? I tried using the esxcli network nic set -n=vmnic0 -P=NNNNNNNNNNNN. It failed with the message Operation not supported: Operation not supported.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the COmmunity - Yes TOE cards are supported you can confirm this with the HCL - http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

You can change the MAC address but I believe you are restricted to using the VMware range of addresses

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
LMBalla
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information on TOE. I will have to check the individual NIC's for TOE support.

As for changing the MAC address. do I use the esxcli network nic set -n=vmnic0 -P=NNNNNNNNNNNN  command? This fails for me. Is there another command I can use?

0 Kudos