VMware Cloud Community
KOMBill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question about NIC-teaming / bonding

When installing ESXi, I want to use all 4 GigE ports on my server and I set a static IP for each NIC.  Once the server is up, I bond two NICs together.  What I want to know is, is it best to remove the IP address for the second NIC from our DNS?  For example, after installing ESXI, our DNS has the following:

esxi1.mycompany.local     10.10.0.111

esxi1.mycompany.local     10.10.0.112

Should I delete the 10.10.0.112 entry if the bonded pair is using 10.10.0.111?  I'm thinking that I should so that there is no misdirection but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So phyical NICs don't have IP addresses assigned to them in ESXi.  You tell ESXi what phy nics should be plugged into which virtual switch and you assign an ip address to the network management agent that's also plugged into that same virtual switch, but you never assign IP addresses to physical nics.  The only purpose of a phyical nic in an ESXi install is so they can plug into virtual switches you create inside of your ESXi install.  Then it's the other VMs and VMKernel ports that have their own IP addresses.  Take this image below I found on the internet as an example.  Those physical nics (vmnic0 and vmnic1) don't have any ip addresses, there's no DNS A record pointing to those, etc.  They are there to plug physical switches into your virtual switches (they are network devices; that's the clearest way to think about them).  The grey bar below is a virtual switch and the green dots on the virtual switch are ports where something is plugged into it.  Those VMs (Linux, Windows, whatever) is what has ipaddresses.  The special devices plugged into the virtual switch are called VMKernel Ports and Service Console Ports (in ESXi 4.x they are all just called VMKernel Ports).  These have IP addresses and those are the closest things to what you are describing in your post.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/i/200001-300000/220001-230000/222001-223000/222236.jpg

If you get the graphic though, you'll notice that the virtual switch "bonds" those two phy nics together based on how you tell it to bond them.  Unless you want to do a lot of research or you have a complex, exceptional case, the settings for bonding those two nics (in the "NIC Teaming" tab) probably ought to be "Route based on the originating virtual port ID" and "Link status only".  Beacon probing should only be used in cases when Link status only mode don't work (usually it does just fine).  Furthermore I also set both NICs as "Active" and say yes to "Notify switches" and "Fallback".

Benny Hauk Systems Admin, VCP3/VCP4 LifeWay Chrstian Resources

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With ESX(i) you don't assign IP addresses to NICs. You would not assign IP addresses to physical switch ports, would you?

IP addresses are assigned to VMkernel post groups like the Management Network and to virtual machines and not to the uplinks from the virtual switches to the physical switches.

You only need one Management port group with an IP address to manage the ESXi host.

André

benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So phyical NICs don't have IP addresses assigned to them in ESXi.  You tell ESXi what phy nics should be plugged into which virtual switch and you assign an ip address to the network management agent that's also plugged into that same virtual switch, but you never assign IP addresses to physical nics.  The only purpose of a phyical nic in an ESXi install is so they can plug into virtual switches you create inside of your ESXi install.  Then it's the other VMs and VMKernel ports that have their own IP addresses.  Take this image below I found on the internet as an example.  Those physical nics (vmnic0 and vmnic1) don't have any ip addresses, there's no DNS A record pointing to those, etc.  They are there to plug physical switches into your virtual switches (they are network devices; that's the clearest way to think about them).  The grey bar below is a virtual switch and the green dots on the virtual switch are ports where something is plugged into it.  Those VMs (Linux, Windows, whatever) is what has ipaddresses.  The special devices plugged into the virtual switch are called VMKernel Ports and Service Console Ports (in ESXi 4.x they are all just called VMKernel Ports).  These have IP addresses and those are the closest things to what you are describing in your post.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/i/200001-300000/220001-230000/222001-223000/222236.jpg

If you get the graphic though, you'll notice that the virtual switch "bonds" those two phy nics together based on how you tell it to bond them.  Unless you want to do a lot of research or you have a complex, exceptional case, the settings for bonding those two nics (in the "NIC Teaming" tab) probably ought to be "Route based on the originating virtual port ID" and "Link status only".  Beacon probing should only be used in cases when Link status only mode don't work (usually it does just fine).  Furthermore I also set both NICs as "Active" and say yes to "Notify switches" and "Fallback".

0 Kudos
KOMBill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much a.p. and benny.  You've both made this simple to understand for something that I had a hard time pinpointing.

This is really helpful to me.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
KOMBill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, I just thought of another question:

In your example, benny, you have 4 IP addresses assigned to your host.  Do you have corresponding entries in DNS for esxserver2.sophia.com with IP's 10.0.2.171, 10.0.200.173, 10.0.55.171 and 10.0.200.171?  Sorry if these questions are dumb.

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

I do edit all of my ip's in the host files else they wont work....DNS enties is must.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
KOMBill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So if I understand correctly, you're saying that if I have a management interface at 10.10.0.111 and an iSCSI interface at 10.10.0.124, I need two DNS entries for my server (esxi1.mycompany.local), one for each IP?

0 Kudos
benny_hauk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now that I look at the example image (like I said, I just grabbed an image from google image search) it's a bit much.  Typically, unless you use iSCSI, you'll have two: "Service Console" (ESXi might call this "Network Management") and the vMotion port group.  I've never heard of anyone assigning a DNS record for the vMotion IP address.  I can think of no reason for it and it actually might cause issues because of the confusion.  The "Network Management" ip address needs a fully-qualified domain name (DNS A record).  You'll refer to that ESXi host by that fully-qualified domain name everywhere (in vCenter Mgmt Server for example) and the vMotion IP address should ALWAYS be referred to by literal IP address only.  iSCSI Mgmt IP addresses shouldn't have DNS records either.

0 Kudos
KOMBill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI benny,  we do not have a vMotion license so that is not an issue.  OK, I think I have it straight now.  You only need 1 IP for the management interface in DNS.  Everything else routes based on IP alone.

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa
Jump to solution

yes, you need only management console IP address to be register in dns entries. Also, its good to keep your hostname and IP's of all esx servers in the host list for proper vmotion.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos