VMware Cloud Community
PCS_Nuti
Contributor
Contributor

Purple Screen on ESXI 6.5u2

Hello to everyone, i tried to open a support request, but it seems i can't, even if my supportwill expired on July.

20190523_090646.jpg

Anyway, i have this problem, randomly.

It seems it can be something about the CPU, but i'm not sure it can be a hardware problem.

The version is the Dell 6.5u2 the machine is a Dell T440, pretty "new" but it worked well for 6 months.

Never patched or updated, it has just one running VM now , with low allocated resources.

I check with Idrac and i have no hardware failure, all seems ok.

Any help is appreciated.

TY in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Bring it fully up-to-date with patches and observe. If it's still crashing, you'll need to renew your support contract and open an SR. We don't analyze crash dumps here as that is what support is for.

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

PSOD stack matches with the following KB and it looks like a known issue

VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
PCS_Nuti
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i found it googling and i tried to apply the solution, but i was not fully sure about it since i can read that missing heartbit at the beginning of the PSOD

what did you exactly search in KB?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Missing heartbeat is common in any PSOD screen, you have to compare the actual stack which starts in the middle of the screen

I found the following lines matching with the screenshot from KB and you run DELL server

LogFormatStringV@vmkernel#nover+0x9c stack: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LogWarningWithPcpu@vmkernel#nover+0x40f stack: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

vmk_vLogNoLevel@vmkernel#nover+0x63 stack: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

vmk_LogNoLevel@vmkernel#nover+0x3e stack: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CompletionBottomHalf@(vmw_ahci)#<None>+0x69b stack: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also we can't test the solution if the workaround works or not when we cannot reproduce the issue.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
PCS_Nuti
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you daphnissov,

a question  for everybody, how do you patch your esxi? using cli? web interface? vsphere?

0 Kudos
rahul_mike
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there,

I usually end up doing it via the CLI as I personally feel that is much more effortless.

Creating a basline and stuff is something I'd not choose unless I'm managing a huge enviornment.

0 Kudos