VMware Cloud Community
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor

Purple Screen of Death - Exception #14 in World 4100 - Part #2

Since September I've been getting Purple Screens of Death on my $1,000 HP workstation running a couple of SATA drives with 16 gigs.

I attach a sample of what the PSOD looks like. I first thought one of my drives may have been bad so I moved my VM from drive #2 to drive #1.

That didn't work because I got another PSOD yesterday. I pulled out 8 gigs of my 16 gigs thinking the RAM may be bad. I got another PSOD today.

One of the responses to my earlier post suggested that something was bad with a USB device given the content of the PSOD and the references to USB in it.

I *think* I may have found the problem. Yesterday and today I was over at my workdesk switching between monitors with this IOGEAR KVM.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/IOGEAR-4-Port-USB-Cable-KVM-Switch/1680030.aspx

On both occasions I got the PSOD. I'm going to say that this PSOD is being caused by some kind of problem with the USB KVM switch. I don't know if ESXI 4 polls the mouse and keyboard at some point and, not finding it, blows up, or if the KVM switch is faulty (it's new) or what the deal is.

Has anyone ever had a problem with PSOD's and a KVM switch?

Thanks!

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos
0 Replies