VMware Cloud Community
sgerst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Purple Screen after ESXi 4 installation, pf exception (14) in world

Hi,

I'm getting a purple screen after booting the esxi 4 host. i get the following exception: pf exception (14) in world xxxx

I tried the versions esxi 4 with update 1 and without. both had the same problem...

The server is a brandnew hp proliant dl120g6 ...

Does anyone have an idea to fix this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

you welcome Smiley Wink

All seems to point to the sfcbd process (CIM providers). But it's a initial hypothesis. Just this :).

Running a customized esxi HP version on unsupported HP machines can produce weird effects. Because of this is highly unrecommended using this kind of installation.

I really don't know a alternative for what you want. To be able to monitoring (in a tightly way) on esxi you must use a supported HP machine. If not then you must use a vanilla esxi version without tight hardware monitoring.

Please, don't forget to mark any helpful or correct answer.

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

without see more information about the PSOD i would recommend you to check if all the hardware is really supported by esxi.

A PSOD in the install time sounds like some hardware component isn't supported. Then the issue happens.

I would recommend you check carefully this post to be 100% confident about your esxi 4.0 hardware compatibility.

Anyway if you can't show more information about the PSOD, you maybe can check this KB to gain knowledge about the PSOD's:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1004250&sl...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100680...

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Verify that you have correct memory configuration and speeds.

Do a memtest over night to make sure that memory is ok. All PSOD:s I had have been due to fauly memory.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
sgerst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for the hint's.

Just to make clear... I don't get this screen while i'm installting esxi. I get it after the host has boot up. I see the, let's say, "home" sceen of esxi where you can the ip adress of the host etc. and after a minute I get the attached blue screen....

But I will check memory afterwards.

Any other ideas???

Regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi

just to discard it, check the host memory with a tool like memtest.

Checking your screen snapshot, i can notice esxi was just up one minute before the PSOD happens!

Also i have seen that the PSOD is more likely to be related to the sfcbd process. This process is the esxi CIM agent that permits a tight host hardware monitoring in the Dell, IBM or HP machines.

This issue remember me another issue with the sfcbd process. But in this case it happens on esxi 3.5 ...

Perhaps you are running a HP customized esxi 4.0? I just have checked the official HCL and your HP system (HP Proliant dl 120) isn't supported. Then is recommended to install the vanilla esxi 4.0 U1 version, not the HP customized one.

Anyway if it isn't supported then maybe esxi 4.0 will work but with issues. I would recommend you to check this post about the esxi 4.0 hardware compatibilities.

Ok, IMHO i would recommend you follow this steps:

1) Check the host memory to find if some memory dim is broken. This can be the reason to your PSOD.

2) Disable the CIM Agent in your esxi host. To do it, you can check my previous link in this post about the sfcbd issue. If PSOD's not happens again, then you know the issue's cause. Another option is install the vanilla esxi 4.0 U1 version instead.

Let me know if any of my advices works for you Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Virtually noob blog

sgerst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Pablo,

Thanks a lot for yout post!!!

I think you're right. I'll check this tomorrow and let you know...

I installed the hp version to get information about the system health, because the server will be in a data center and I need to know especially about the raid/disk health.... Is there a way to get this information all the same?

Best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

you welcome Smiley Wink

All seems to point to the sfcbd process (CIM providers). But it's a initial hypothesis. Just this :).

Running a customized esxi HP version on unsupported HP machines can produce weird effects. Because of this is highly unrecommended using this kind of installation.

I really don't know a alternative for what you want. To be able to monitoring (in a tightly way) on esxi you must use a supported HP machine. If not then you must use a vanilla esxi version without tight hardware monitoring.

Please, don't forget to mark any helpful or correct answer.

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Virtually noob blog

0 Kudos
sgerst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot.

Memory was ok, so I installed the vanilla version and it works...!!!

Regards

0 Kudos
pbionda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pablo, your answer solved my problem (and saved my ***) !!!

Thank you very much

Pier

0 Kudos
kazuya0108
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

I want to install ESXi 4.1 into HP ProLiant DL120 G6.

So I want to confirm if HP ProLiant DL120 G6 is available to be installed ESXi 4 series.

If anyone inform it, it is helpfull for me.

Regards,

Kazuya

0 Kudos
kkzainul
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your email. I will be on sick leave today, may not be accessing my e-mails. If your query is urgent please e-mail osimblrwintelchange@logica.com.

0 Kudos
pradeflx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have some questions about VMware Infrastructure.

I am using two ESXi hosts with ESXi 5.0.Dont have Vcenter Server.

Can I update H/W version of VMs without Update Manager or without Vcenter Server. Is there any patch available to update the VMs Version?

Should I update ESXi Host first from 5.0 to 5.1 and then update hardware version of VMs.

I am also getting a PSOD (PF Exception 14 in world 5359) in one server (Dell PowerEdge R410) file has been attached.

Please guide me for the above issues.

Thanks

Regards

Pradeep

saini_say@yahoo.com

0 Kudos