VMware Cloud Community
igregoriou
Contributor
Contributor

Purple Screen Of Death - Exception 14

Greetings,

One of our ESXi hosts crashed recently with Exception 14. The server is a Dell PowerEdge R520 with a PERC H710p RAID controller (originally it had a PERC H310, but we replaced it with the H710p and everything was running fine for about two months until the crash). The controller manages a RAID10 array of 4 SAS disks and a RAID0 array of 2 SSDs.

I have checked the forums and discovered that most probably the Expeption 14 PSOD is due to a hardware issue. Is there any indication on the attached screenshot of the PSOD that can point me to the right direction? What does the "megasas_reset_fusion" line mean? Do you think it's a faulty RAID controller?

Thank you in advance!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
igregoriou
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to mention that the ESXi version we have installed is the customized iso from Dell, i.e. release 799733 A01.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

There is no screenshot attached and you are right, most common cause for PSOD is hardware problems.

Does the host come up after a reset?

Have anyhing changed lately in the configuration?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
igregoriou
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo,

Sorry for that, I thought I had attached the screenshot. Here it is!

As for your question, the host was running since the RAID controller replacement took place, so no other resets or configuration changes.

0 Kudos
suri123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
igregoriou
Contributor
Contributor

Hi suri,

Thanks for the link.

In my case, the Network Failover Detection is already set to Link Status Only, so this is not the reason of the PSOD.

0 Kudos