Enthusiast

Providing Client Console access to VM within ESXi

Firstly here is the environment layout

vc - 10 ESXi 4.1 hosts - ~190 Guests

|

| <- SRM

|

vc - 3 ESXi 4.1 hosts - ~30 Guests

I have some users that require console access to four VMs and I would like to have a way for the a small group of users to connect to these servers without installing the full viclient.  I have been toying with vmware-vmrc and it will not even load nor gives me an error when I try and launch it.(incorrect switches)

MSTSC isn't an option.

Does anyone have the fully documented command switch for vmware-vmrc?

Thoughts?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you can create permissions on the guests in question within vCenter, then using the vCenter UI, gerate a Virtual Machine Shortcut.  In order to get to the remote console.  THe users will howver have to install the VMware Remote Control Software.

0 Kudos
halibut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is currently what I have done, minus the shortcuts.  The issue lies more that I want to reduce the size of the client and the ability to update the client with a small number of files rather than the whole client.

C

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Stream the client with something like ThinApp

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Here is an unofficial reference to the instructions. http://communities.vmware.com/message/999988

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
halibut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would love to but we don't have any licensing for that.

C

0 Kudos
halibut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Further in that communities question it really does give some insight into how to use the product.  I am playing around and it looks promising.  (At least it is launching.)  Smiley Happy

i'll post updates as soon as I have them

C

0 Kudos
halibut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So in connecting using the command .\vmware-vmrc.exe -h <vc_servername> "[datastore1] vma/vma.vmx",  I get the error "The request refers to an unexpected or unknown type."

I get the same error using port 443. Using port 80 it sits open with a blank screen.

If I use the actual ESXi host it works. I wonder if it is possible to re-route through the VC?

0 Kudos