VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Protocol Used in vMotion and Storage vMotion

Anyone who can tell me which protocol is used in storage vmotion and vMotion.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
7 Replies
WessexFan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You mean port numbers, correct? A vExpert would know the protocols.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203909...

VCP5-DCV, CCNA Data Center
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

my question is not about port numbers it's about protocol and at which Layer of the OSI model these protocol works.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
WessexFan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Really? transport....

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Wesse, Please respect the other's queries rather than commenting on those. I hope you will respect this.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
WessexFan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No disrespect meant, mate. Apologies if it sounded that way.

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

it is TCP, port 8000

VMware KB: TCP and UDP Ports required to access VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi and ESX hosts, an...

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

The protocols used in vMotion and Storage vMotion are not disclosed anywhere and is probably what we call proprietary protocols.

We do however know that atleast vMotion is by default an unencrypted protocol (ipsec encryption is available) so any password that is stored in a servers memory is trackable with wireshark if you monitor the vMotion network.

There have been examples of tools being able to change passwords of a VM while migrating.

Lars

0 Kudos