VMware Cloud Community
J_Delgado
Contributor
Contributor

Problems to start a VM over ESXi 5.0

Greetings to all,

I'm working in a test environment and I'm having some problems to start a new virtual machine.

I have a physical ESX 3.5 where I have created a new VM and I have installed an ESXi 5.0, the installation was fine and I have all configured. Well, now I have created a virtual machine (over virtual ESXi 5.0) and when i want to start the new VM i'm obtaining the next message:

Running VMware ESX in a virtual machine requires the outer virtual machine to be configured for running a VMware ESX guest operating system. You may not power on a virtual machine until the outer virtual machine is reconfigured.

I have been reviewing others post and after to remove from inventory I have modified the vm.vmx file changing the guestOS = "ubuntu-64" to guestOS = "vmkernel" but after to include the vm again, when I try to start it I obtain the same behaviour

Thanks in advance, regards.

3 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

You are trying to power on vm in nested esx, requires some setting changes.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203480...

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
J_Delgado
Contributor
Contributor

Hello John23,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I have followed your link and this too (VMware KB: Tips for editing a .vmx file ) but after to remove from directory, modify the .vmx file and register again the vm, the ESXi 5 has started fine but the VM that I have created into still showing the same message.

I attach the .vmx after to modify it.

vmx.jpg

Thanks in advance, regards.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Read Running Nested VMs

It does not speak about ESX 3 as the host - so have a look at the settings for ESXi 4 and test them