VMware Cloud Community
fr1j0l3
Contributor
Contributor

Problems installing esxi 5.5.0 on Cisco ucs

OK, we are having an odd issue getting our second install of esxi5.5.0 set up.

2 identical UCS devices, first one ran flawless.

2nd one is giving us fits, seems like the weasel python script in the installer is stuck on something.

esx.png

If I hit F1 for details, or Enter to continue, I get this:

esx1.png

If I peek in the logs, I see some weasel lines, but nothing that makes sense to me.

esx2.png

It works on one box, but not the other. thoughts?

thanks.

Tags (3)
16 Replies
maniyuvaraj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Whether it is local boot or boot from SAN? if boot from SAN check the following options...

I have installed 5.5 on UCS with Blade B200 M2, please check while booting the server whether it is showing Storage (EMC, NetApp, etc..). If not showing check whether both blades's service profile working blade and non working blade) bind with same template else check in floggi table whether this WWPN & WWNN showing.. if shows then request storage team whether they properly mapped the LUN.

Yuvaraj

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

I think you have used LSI MegaRAID SAS  RAID controller for your HDD config.  if you do that you need to customize your image and need to add LSI MegaRAID SAS Adapters with ISO and re-install it.  download driver from https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?productId=353&downloadGroup=DT-ESXI55-LSI-MEGARAID_SAS-6600... or else you can use Mezzanine adapter RAID controller. anyway may I know your blade model number;? FYI: do not mix SSD and HDD

0 Kudos
fr1j0l3
Contributor
Contributor

It's booting from a virtual image mounted as a DVD.

Boot sequence starts, hit F6, pick the esx vDVD option and the installer runs just fine until it hits the pick a disk part.

It seems like this step is just selecting where to install the OS, and the installer pukes.

It's an B200 M3, other identical blade worked fine on install.

Not sure where to look for WWPN/WWNN details.

0 Kudos
fr1j0l3
Contributor
Contributor

more screens:

esxbooting.PNG

esxvdvd.PNG

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

boot.JPGcan you check this blade associated service profile Boot order? whether do you have added local hard disk ?

0 Kudos
NealeC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Frijole

To recap, I can see you're booting from the CIMC mapped DVD ISO as you did with another blade, so that's consistent.

You're selecting a local RAID1 drive made up of the 2 Intel SSDs, yes?

Have you tried breaking/deleting your RAID1 logical drive and recreating it.

The Weasel error appears to mention that it doesn't like the partition table or format.

Regards

-------------- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Chris Neale VCIX6-NV;vExpert2014-17;VCP6-NV;VCP5-DCV;VCP4;VCA-NV;VCA-DCV;VTSP2015;VTSP5;VTSP4 http://www.chrisneale.org http://www.twitter.com/mrcneale
0 Kudos
fr1j0l3
Contributor
Contributor

Here's what I see for boot order:

boot_order.PNG

I really can't tell if it is a raided intel ssd though.

edit: it is a raided intel ssd:

0 Kudos
fr1j0l3
Contributor
Contributor

I have not tried breaking.re-loading the raid, that may be it. I'll get with the guy that set it up initially and ask him.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies, really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Also I'm not sure if this is an option or has been tried yet, but make sure the service profile you are using on that blade that is having problems is the same service profile from the one that works.  You can clone the working service profile and re-apply it to the slot the troublesome blade is in.  This could also fix any configuration issues you are having.

0 Kudos
fr1j0l3
Contributor
Contributor

OK, we broke the raid, configured it to normal drive, then rebuilt the raid, then tried to install the 5.5ESXI again, same weasel error message.

0 Kudos
fr1j0l3
Contributor
Contributor

OK, removed the profile, created a new machine, associated it with the hardware/profile, still getting the same "invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'saved' error.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

when you created the new profile you cloned the profile from the working blade?  and assigned it? Or did you just build it new from scratch?

0 Kudos
fr1j0l3
Contributor
Contributor

cloned and re-assigned.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Silly question, are you using the Cisco branded Install media for ESXi 5.5 ?

0 Kudos
fr1j0l3
Contributor
Contributor

No silly questions at this point.

I get the same error with both:

ESXi-5.5.0-1746018-Custom-Cisco-5.5.1.3.iso

and

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0.update01-1623387.x86_64.iso

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hmm is there any other errors that you have managed to collect while testing?

Also what happens if you build a fresh service profile with just the raid setup?  Or a fresh test service profile without the raid configuration, AKA just install ESXi on one of the drives?  If the service profile works without the raid controller you know its an issue with the array setup.

Also is this the only blade having problems?  so if you where to try this on a 3rd blade do you get the same thing?

0 Kudos