Maykol
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with windows 2003 AD in vSphere

Hello

everybody, I have a problem with windows 2003 on vSphere, I have an AD

running on the windows, and almost every day in the morning the machines

can not access the AD, I open the virtual machine AD, and perform a

refresh in the NIC of AD and the same back to running.

I have

this problem on three different companies.

Thanks....

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Many of us are running multiple different versions of Active directory on vmware without any issues.

what is the commonality between the environment hardware wise? Are you using managed switches or unmanaged?

Are you using the flexible nic or the e1000 in these machines?

0 Kudos
Maykol
Contributor
Contributor

Don't have any commonality between the environment hardware, and I use e1000 driver for the NIC, and the switches are unmanaged. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

so if you setup monitoring of the servers, are you seeing the VM actually drop off the network (ie, it stops responding to ping's).

What kind of events are you seeing in the event logs on those serverswhen the problem starts?

Any commonality with backups (ie, are you using something like a vranger or other product for image level backups and backups finish at the time the machines drop off?

0 Kudos
Maykol
Contributor
Contributor

I do not use any

backup software on that server, and the ping don't stop, only AD not respond and the events are normal Thanks

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, AD isn't a service but an actual core component of the operating system so it doesn't appear it’s a network problem per se.

Enabling and disabling the nic can force other components to re-kicking.

When its not responding, have you tried doing an nslookup on the server to see if it responds to dns?

Another thing to try is to restart the netlogon service.

Any Active directory event logs being generated?

Is there any commonality in the timing between the 3 environments that you can find. Typically when I setup systems I do them the same everytime (including setting up scheduled backup tasks in the operating system) and patching,etc

Maykol
Contributor
Contributor

I will

analyze it and I will post as soon as get the error again, thank you very much for

now

0 Kudos