VMware Cloud Community
erixon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem with "no available vRAM capacity" ESX5

Hi!

I've a problem with my ESX cluster (VMware 5.0 Essentials Plus). I'm not longer allowed to poweron any VM's because of this error message: "Unable to perform the operation. There is no available vRAM capacity.". I've read VMware white paper and asked the support there should not be any limit on vRAM. This is from the pdf file:

No Limits on Physical Resources

There are no restrictions on physical cores or physical RAM with

vSphere 5.

No Limits on Number of Virtual Machines

There are no restrictions on the number of virtual machines that

can run on each properly licensed vSphere 5 processor.

I had some problems in june when the cluster failed without any reason and first I was only able to add 2 host to my cluster but after some tries (~5) I was able to add my last host as well. I didn't think more about that but now the problem is a little bit bigger when I'm not able to poweron machines...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The vRAM entitlement was introduced with vSphere 5.0, but eliminated some time later. If you are still running an early version of vCenter Server 5.0 you may still be affected. To resolve this you'll need to update vCenter Server to at least Update 2 (see VMware vCenter Server 5.0 Update 2 Release Notes - "vCenter Essentials no longer enforces vRAM usage limit of 192 GB ")

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What builds are you working with for vCenter and ESXi?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - Do you have any memory reservations set on your VMs? I am assuming you have HA enabled? What are the setting for you HA cluster?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The vRAM entitlement was introduced with vSphere 5.0, but eliminated some time later. If you are still running an early version of vCenter Server 5.0 you may still be affected. To resolve this you'll need to update vCenter Server to at least Update 2 (see VMware vCenter Server 5.0 Update 2 Release Notes - "vCenter Essentials no longer enforces vRAM usage limit of 192 GB ")

André

0 Kudos
erixon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for quick replies!

vmroyale

Host: 5.0.0 build 1117897

vCenter: 5.0.0 build 623373

weinstein5

I didn't have some reservations what I could see but I did have some limit's. I took them away but no change.

a.p.

Okay! That's probably the reason! But I guess I don't have update 2 on the hosts as well..? update is 5.0.2 right?

How would you recommend me to upgrade? First vCenter and then the hosts?

Do I need to uninstall vCenter first or will it recongnize that I already have one and then upgrade. I really don't want to loose all my configs... Smiley Happy

thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Update 2 for the hosts is build 914586, no need to apply any updates/patches on them. The vCenter Server Upgrade should be an in-place upgrade. However, this depends on e.g. the language (i.e. non-English versions) you use. Please check the release notes and the upgrade documentation for further details.

André

0 Kudos
erixon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! Great, I will download vCenter update and try to upgrade and hopefully everything will go smooth Smiley Happy we're using English version.

If everything go well we will plan to apply Update 2 on the hosts as well.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As mentioned before, there's no need to patch the hosts, they are already running on the latest available patch/build.

André

0 Kudos
erixon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks! So when I used the update manager I've been able to update the hosts to update 2 + some extra patches but vCenter wasn't update 2?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that's correct. Please take a look at the VMware Product Interoperability Matrix for supported combinations.

André

0 Kudos
erixon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Lovely Smiley Happy thank you very much!! I'm not getting the error message anymore.

0 Kudos