VMware Cloud Community
t1red
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with memory reservation in ESXi 4.0

Hello,

we are experiencing problems with the memory reservation in ESXi 4.0.

The initial situation was, that we have converted physical machines into ESXi.

When we try to change the amount of reserved memory for machines and try to start it after, we are getting this error:

"Invalid memory setting for FTP: memory reservation(sched.mem.min) should be equal to memsize(2048) Error while parsing scheduler config

parameters. Module MemSched power on failed."

That's actually bad because the server we are running ESXi on has got 7GB of RAM and 2 machines occupy 4GB of RAM what leaves less for another Windows 2008 R2 server.

help is very appreciated

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Memory reservations generally are not recommended because they increase paging load on the disks by reducing the pageably area under stress.

It's a bit like ring-fencing government departments from spending cuts - there is necessarily more elsewhere.

http://blog.peacon.co.uk

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
t1red
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your quick answer, but i think exactly that is our problem.

We want to remove the memory reservation but as soon as we do that, and try to start machines, they are just giving the error i've written in my first post.

0 Kudos
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Agreed, generally you do not do memory reservations for VMs. Only for Memory Intensive servers like SAP, SQL

What you need to do is on the edit settings change the memory size to what you require

On the "Resources" tab click on Memory, set the memory reservation to 0

Hope I understood the question correctly

Please Award points if this was helpfull

0 Kudos
RoFz
Contributor
Contributor

We're getting this same error here.

There are 7 Red Hat 5.5 virtual machines configured in an ESXI 4.1 U1 server and we had all of their memory reservations removed, but only one specific VM got stuck with this error. Funny. The only difference of this VM is that it has an PCI-e SCSI card configured as pass-through.

I still didn't have the opportunity to test it since it's a production environment, but my guess is that it has something to do with the error. Would that be your situation too?

0 Kudos