VMware Cloud Community
profp62
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with local datastore and vCenter after ESX host cloning

Yes, I know, it was not the best idea to clone esx hosts, but in that time it was only possible way to do it.

So i cloned 6 esx host, changed everything (almost i see now) what was hardwired and cluster was functioning.

But now in production i see that on all esx host i have the same UUID on local storage. (ESC is installed on local blades and vmfs are on SAN)

In VC i see only one local datastore, i can browse only one and so on. Rename local datastore name dont help.

The link is the same, so after rename on one esx host in cluster, i see the same name on other hosts.

I didn't saw any problems in function, but i need to repair it.

Please, is any way how to change local datastore UUID without esx reinstall ?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

I have to ask... Why did you clone the hosts? It's not like ESX/ESXi takes a long time to install. With the profiles option you can make all your settings on one host and apply them to the rest. You could have probably done without the clone method and be error free in the same amount of time you've spent trying to correct issues caused by the cloning.

VCP4

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

The information about "Managing Duplicate VMFS Datastores" on pages 105-107 of the ESX Configuration Guide may be of help, but you may very well run into other issues with this setup. The best approach would be to perform fresh installs.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
profp62
Contributor
Contributor

Don't ask why, but i had one hour time(from midnight do 1PM) for it without any preparation ! So i cloned allways one disk from hw mirror. There was NO WAY to install it in one hour.

But it doesn't matter now - I need to repair it.

p.s. of course the customer don't have licence for host profiles ...

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

So the customer expected the impossible and isn't happy that because of their moronic time frame things are not functioning properly? Typical.

Depending on the server hardware you're using, you might have been able to get away with not much longer than an hour, IF you were given sufficient time to prepare for the install (such as making enough install discs to run them all at the same time).

I would go back to them and let them know that due to their original restrictions you can either spend weeks fixing things as they come up, or spend a few hours reconfiguring things with correct (individual) installs on the hosts.

BTW, I would have given them a "no" answer to that amount of time. If they wanted it during those hours, it would take several evenings to get everything configured properly and online.

VCP4

0 Kudos