VMware Cloud Community
unclefreddie70
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with creating VMs on ESXi hosts using Fusion 8 Pro

Hi,

As you know, Fusion can be used as a rudimentary GUI for ESXi. I have created a VM on an ESXi host using Fusion 8 Pro, but powering on that VM results in no network adapter activation, so I can't image an OS onto the VM.

Steps to replicate:

• Use Fusion 8 Pro to connect to an ESXi host.
  • "Create a new virtual machine" on the ESXi host.
  • Use "Connect CD/DVD Drive" to attach a boot ISO of your choice to the VM
  • Start the VM

The VM will boot off the boot ISO; at some point it will fail during the activating networking stage and issue a message to the effect that it cannot continue.

Networking should become active at some point during startup, especially since "Connect At Power On" is checked, but never does.

In Fusion 8 Pro, when handling VMs on the ESXi host, whenever I click the "Connect Network Adapter" checkbox, it will not stick. That looks like the problem. Not sure if it's happening inside Fusion 8 Pro or inside ESXi, though, if you know what I mean.

If I do the exact same imaging process above all in Fusion 8 Pro, it works fine. The VM is created and imaged locally.

Please help, as I would really like to use Fusion 8 Pro to create and administer VMs on my ESXi host. If you need screenshots, I can provide them.

I'm using Fusion 8 Pro v8.0.1 and ESXi 6.0U1. Both are the newest versions.

Thanks.

Uncle

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PaSavICT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did the same, and i noticed that with newotrk there was a unknown.

I edited the settings first, selected the right Network adapter. And after that it was running fine.

0 Kudos
unclefreddie70
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I only have 1 network adapter to select in the dropdown list, and it is already selected by default. Yet the problem occurs.

0 Kudos