VMware Cloud Community
SmokeR8672
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem with configuring static Link Aggregation ESXi + Cisco

I have a ESXi 6.5 (free version) and Cisco 2960.
On Cisco:

interface Port-channel1
switchport mode access
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
switchport mode access
channel-group 1 mode on
!

(four interfaces in Port-channel, this is example for 1st interface)(no vlan's! in esxi in settings no vlan's 'None(0)')

On ESXi: I did all config from official guide (and tryed many more solutions (google helps)), I add, all NIC, they active, i choose IP HASH on vSwitch and etc.

Sample configuration of EtherChannel / Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) with ESXi/ESX and Ci...

doesn't work! so easy configuration, come on! when i connect cabels in switch,on configured ports, i lose connection with hypervisor (and with VM of course). i spend all day trying to understand and setup link aggregation. what could be the problem? maybe 'trunk' mode helps (not sure)? maybe need vlan's?? Not tryed, because I not manage cisco switch, I make a call in headquarters and their admins configure switch(yes, i know, not cool).

(UPD) I found info about VLAN's, if you not set VLAN in access mode on cisco, it mean all traffic is in 1st VLAN by default. okay, on esxi i seted 4095 VLAN (it mean accept all VLAN's), but still not work. I still lose connection with hypervisor.

Thanks a lot for the any help! God bless your server!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SmokeR8672
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solve the problem. due to the fact that I did not manage the Cisco switch, it turned out that our network was in VLAN. i seted our vlan in esxi (4095 - doesnt work (I wonder why?)), and asked set switchport mode trunk + access to our vlan.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nadupalliramesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are trying this on a blade infrastructure? If so which one? I heard similar issues with HPE/VCM.

0 Kudos
SmokeR8672
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Blade? You mean blade server? If yes, my answer is - yes =). Dell PowerEdge R430 - blade server.

0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Why are you trying to configure link aggregation in vSphere? There are some corner cases, but typically it's not required.

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
SmokeR8672
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Corner case))

need high bandwidth and fault tolerance, and boss say "do it"

server will be accept many requests, and work with relatively large data.

0 Kudos
SmokeR8672
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solve the problem. due to the fact that I did not manage the Cisco switch, it turned out that our network was in VLAN. i seted our vlan in esxi (4095 - doesnt work (I wonder why?)), and asked set switchport mode trunk + access to our vlan.

0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vSphere already load-balances traffic across multiple uplinks based on the originating port ID by default, which provides high throughput and redundancy.

Invite your boss to the forums. Smiley Happy

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos