VMware Cloud Community
Feche
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with VMware ahci driver - ESXi 6.7

I had the problem that under LINUX the Virtual Machine didn´t get more than 80mb/sec read/write, so I read somewhere that with the command:

esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module=vmw_ahci

This issue should be solved.. far away from that, it gave me more troubles than solutions.. ESXi boots up and is responsive but for less than a minute then ESXi server becomes unresponsive.

I can SSH but every command that I execute gets stuck, so when I try to read the log (cat /var/log/vmkernel.log) the Putty session becomes unresponsive and I can´t do anything.

I also tried to re-enable the module with:

esxcli system module set --enabled=true --module=vmw_ahci

After that I execute reboot command but does nothing, the only way is to use reboot -n -f, but even with the force flag, esxi hangs up and doesn't reboot.

Any help please? I have the server 40 miles from home and I don't want to travel, maybe I am missing something

Thanks people

4 Replies
Feche
Contributor
Contributor

Also, I forgot to mention that I also lose web access after a minute or so, I am very stuck with this problem!

0 Kudos
tayfundeger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

There are multiple reasons for the problem you've experienced. What is the brand model of the physical server you have used? I had a similar situation. The problem was caused by the raid controller firmware of the physical server. The problem was corrected after the firmware update. Can you share the brand model and ESXi version information of the physical server you have used?

Thanks.

--
Blog: https://www.tayfundeger.com
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/tayfundeger

vBlogger, vExpert, Cisco Champions

Please, if this solution helped your problem, "Helpful" if it solves your problem "Correct Answer" to mark.
Feche
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am using this hardware:

Intel Xeon 1240 v3

Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0

16GB DDR3

1TB Samsung Evo 860 SSD

Before I disabled vmw_ahci module, everything was working fine!

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

1TB Samsung Evo 860 SSD

Can you tell me before you disable vmw_ahci module, did the ESXi host detect the disk as a SSD datastore or not ?

Everytime I used Evo & Pro series, by default ESXi host (many version of vSphere that I exprienced) detects them as the Non_SSD Disk ...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos