VMware Cloud Community
danandrews
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem with ESX 4 running as VM on ESX 4.

I have followed a guide and I cannot see the Virtual ESX Host once installed. I already have 3 VM's on the main host with 2 NIc's available.

I created the ESX virtual host config as 2 - cpu's, 2 Nics, 2GB, 200gb disk

ESX 4 installed fine but I cannot ping or connect the IP.

Thanks!

Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Verify that the security setting for promiscuious mode the switch or port group on your physical esx server that you are connecting your virtual ESX server to is set to "Allow", it is not by default. It should look like the attached screenshot.

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Verify that the security setting for promiscuious mode the switch or port group on your physical esx server that you are connecting your virtual ESX server to is set to "Allow", it is not by default. It should look like the attached screenshot.

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
0 Kudos
danandrews
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That was it! Thank you for the fast reply.

Dan

0 Kudos
dtracey
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Dan,

Have you allowed Promiscuous Mode on the vSwitch that your ESX VM is connected to?

Dan

Edit: Too late!

0 Kudos
Ryan2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have to ask....... WHY would you bother with this config in the first place? I'm sure somebody has a good reason (ie. testing, etc), but deploying ESX 4 as a VM on an ESX 4 system just doesn't make any sense to me at all. What are you trying to gain here?

0 Kudos
danandrews
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ryan,

Good question. The issue is I do not have my backup 64bit R710 server here yet and needed to test Vizioncores vreplicator and some of the vmware features.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
gchavira
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any other tips? I have followed all the suggestions to install ESX 4 as a VM. I cannot even get it to boot up to even start the install. It says something about initrd extends beyond memory. See attached screenshot. I followed all the stuff I read like set type to RH5 64bit, etc. I have 8GB of RAM, 2 procs, and 2 NICs.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you assign at least 2GB of memory to your ESX4 VM?

0 Kudos