VMware Cloud Community
ibanez991
Contributor
Contributor

Problem updating ESXi 4.1 to 4.1 update 1

I've been trying for two days now and it won't update.  Can someone please help shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

Current Version says: ESXi 4.1.0 260247

When I query the server it doesn't have any Bulletin's installed.

The error I get is: No matching bulletin or VIB was found in the metadata.  No bulletins for this platform could be found.  Nothing to do.

The command I'm running to update is:  perl vihostupdate.pl --server 10.0.0.8 -i -b update-from-esxi4.1-4.1_update01.zip

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?  Is there a patch that I have to install before this one?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I may not be able to offer help with regards to the method you are using, but you may also try the method below

http://www.vm-help.com/esx41/Patching_4.1_with_the_host_update_utility.php

0 Kudos
ibanez991
Contributor
Contributor

Using the HUU tells me the host is up to date.  Am I just stupid and this update doesn't apply to me?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
ibanez991
Contributor
Contributor

OK, that's the patch I'm trying to install then and it's not working.

I'm stumped!

0 Kudos
ibanez991
Contributor
Contributor

OK now I'm very confused.  My second server with the same build reports that it has 8 updates available.  So something is wacked with the install on the first server. 

0 Kudos
Wickerman14
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here I installed all the Bulletins from this update-from-esx4.1-4.1_update01.zip but when I look at the vmware -v build number it still reports 260247 ?

If I query the bulletins it's says  "Host was not updated, no changes required.Skipping bulletin ESX410-Update01; it
is installed or obsoleted."

Any ideas...?

0 Kudos
Wickerman14
Contributor
Contributor

thanks to Troy,

downloaded from here

Re: Problem updating ESXi 4.1 to 4.1 update 1

U1 is build 348481 and the zip can be found below

https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/OFFLINE/release-260-20110127-912579/update-from-esxi4.1-4...

Applied and now works and reports correct build number. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos