VMware Cloud Community
vcharrier
Contributor
Contributor

Problem trunk with cisco nexus 5000 and dell poweredge R710

Hi,

I fail to establish a trunk between switches my Nexus 5000 - 2000 and my Dell PowerEdge R710 server.

I already have a cluster of three server that works with trunk and configured as active on my new server.

someone has an idea?

Best regard,

Cirvent

0 Kudos
3 Replies
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In order to configure trunk both end should be a switch but here you are trying to configure trunk with a switch and a server which is not possible. You have to make sure that both end is switch then go for trunking.

milton 
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you are talking about an EtherChannel configuration, please take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004048 which describes the necessary settings as well as the limitations.

André

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

milton123 wrote:

In order to configure trunk both end should be a switch but here you are trying to configure trunk with a switch and a server which is not possible. You have to make sure that both end is switch then go for trunking.

milton 

This is misleading. You can most definitely set up a trunk port between a Cisco switch and ESXi host.

I'm guessing that we're using the "HP ProCurve" perversion of this term which is a port channel. Again, this is also possible to an ESXi host.

ESXi only supports static EtherChannel (channel-group mode on). You cannot use LACP without a Nexus 1000V switch installed on the host.

This post should help: Sample configuration of EtherChannel / Link aggregation with ESX/ESXi and Cisco/HP switches

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos