VMware Cloud Community
aspenbr
Contributor
Contributor

Problem to add host VCENTER

Hi guys.

I have worked with VCENTER 5.1 with  ESxi 4.1 and ESXi5.1 a two week ago I have started migration hosts from old VCENTER to new VCENTER 5.1, when start process add host the process fail happens the message "Can not  assing the license key to the selected assets" . I have used the same  the license key.  When I put  another key works very well, but I need use the same key. There is other problem, before add that host I remove the host of  the old VCENTER and when I trie add host on new VCENTER happens the message that HOST is already being managed by old VCENTER ;

Someone could help me ?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The licenses that are there for 4.x will not work with 5.x. You will first need to upgrade the licenses to newer version by logging into your MyVMware portal.

There is a KB Article which explains the procedure to do this. Please follow it and upgrade your keys VMware KB: Upgrading license keys in My VMware

Have you checked if you have enough licenses to apply for all hosts? That might be the issue.

For hosts reporting that they are still being managed by other vCenter, You will have to first disconnect the host and then remove the host from vcenter inventory. This will uninstall the vcenter agent on the ESXi host.

Once the agent is uninstalled you wont get a message telling its managed by another vcenter again.

Let me know if you need more help.

Message was edited by: Abhilash

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
aspenbr
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Abhilash,

On old VCENTER first I disconnect the host and removed the host from old VCENTER. It process is enough to uninstall vcenter agent but something is wrong, why every time I try add host on new VCENTER show that error .

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can manually uninstall the vxpa agent by following this KB

VMware KB: Reinstalling the vpxa or aam agent without losing the host record from the vCenter Server...

That should solve your issue.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos