VMware Cloud Community
arani
Contributor
Contributor

Problem moving Win 2008 R2 64 Bit from esx 3.5 to esxi 4.1

Hi community,

we need to move 2 servers windows 2008 r2 64 bit (1 dc + 1 exchange 2010 member server) from esx 3.5 to esxi 4.1 with vmware converter 4.3.0.

We have a problem on moving the exchange server: after moving it the windows server the network adapter didn't work correctly. Windows is able to identify it (e1000), but it can't install correctly the driver. I try to disintall and reinstall, to remove it and add it again but the problem still remain. Also if I try to uptade vmware tools the installation hang. I try to convert 3 times using different option (vmware hardware version 4 and 7, update vmtools during the conversion, etc etc) but the problem still remain.

With the other server (DC) no problem found....

Did anyone had this problem?

I find some post with similar problem but nothing that solve my problem.

Regards.

Danilo

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sevich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Arani, maybe you've tried this already but just checking. Before you run converter, what if you uninstall vmtools, do the conversion keeping it at hardware version 4, then once it comes over power it up and see if you can install tools then or if it still freezes. If that completes then I would upgrade the hardware to 7 and see what happens.

Does the exchange box have any storage presented right to it like RDM's ect?

0 Kudos
tjaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My Tip is -> Convert the machine as it is. So Version 4 old tools. Then remove the network adapter. In Windows Remove all Hidden Adapters. Follow this article to do this : http://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/1141789.htm

Then Remove the VMware Tools. If not possible download the correct ISO File here : http://www.vmware.com/download/packages.html

Now install the new Tools Version. Restart server. Shutdown Server. Upgrade to VM Version 7. Restart. Shutdown and add network adapter. I would suggest VMXNET3. Then the server should find the new NIC and use it. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

--------- VMware Certified Professional 3/4
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

You should be able to just remove the adapter from Device Manager and from the VM (right click edit-settings)

Once you've done this, install the latest VMtools and add reboot.

Add a new NIC and configure as before.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos