VMware Cloud Community
Dudde86
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing windows 10 v1607 in ESXi 6.0.0

I'm having problem installing windows 10 v 1607 (anniversary update) in ESXi 6.0.0.

Installing windows 10 v1511 works perfect but as soon as anniversary update is installed the vm goes in to an infinity reboot loop with the windows stopcode "kmode exception not handled"

I've tried installing windows 10 v1607 in ESXi 6.5 successfully.

I cant upgrade the ESXi host to 6.5 at the moment and the customer is in need of the windows 10 installation asap.

Any ideas what's causing this and how to fix it? (except update ESXi?)

6 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Did you use EFI instead of BIOS for OS installation?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
Dudde86
Contributor
Contributor

No i did not install using EFI, should I have done that?

0 Kudos
albe62
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I just opened the same thread one week ago and, after trying more times, I suppose that the problem is in the NIC. First I would underline that I tried both Bios and UEFI with no success. Could I ask you if your customer is using customized esxi 6.0.0? I have installed a customized 6.0 due to realtek NIC. When I upgrade from 1511 to 1607, the vm looks like not having an IP address anymore. Tomorrow I should receive an Intel NIC and I'll try installing both 6.0 (0, U1, U2) not customized and 6.5. Hoping this will resolve the problem!

0 Kudos
Dudde86
Contributor
Contributor

I used the standard installer and im using Intel NIC's

0 Kudos
albe62
Contributor
Contributor

Probably my last info arrives too late but, after additional test, I can confirm that windows 10 1607 works out-of-the-box in 6.5 but also in 6.0 U2. I think the problem could be related to the combination of certain hardware and release 6.0 (my case). I bought an Intel NIC (for this reason I've been able to try standard 6.5 and 6.0U2) but, after that, I tried again windows 10 1607 on 6.0 without success. I suppose the problem is in drivers needed by W10 not present in 6.0 first release.

luisfjv
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here...

Virtualizing a Windows 10 1607 PC into a custom Dell ESXI 6.0 U1 on a PowerEdge R330, and BSOD with the message "kmode exception not handled". I tried a fresh installation with a W10 1607 ISO, and the same.

Based on the answer of albe62, I tried upgrading my ESXI 6.0 U1 to U2, with the downloaded custom Dell image, and... voilá! Both virtual machines started without problems!

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos