VMware Cloud Community
WHW1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem installing ESXi 5.5u2 on X99s Mpower

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems installing ESXi 5.5 u2 on an X99S MPower MSI motherboard.

The issues:

Initially failed on "Out of resources" when loading tools.t00 (Think it has been resolved by loading from a USB (used UNetbootin to create it) instead of a CD. Also updated sata-xahci-1.10-1.x86_64.vib)

Now system crashes just after loading /imgpayld.tgz with error "failed to resolve circular relocation"

System is as follows:

MSI X99S MPower mobo

I7-5960x extreme CPU

64GB DDR4 2133 RAM

10 * 6TB WD Red

enabled onboard RAID5 with 6 of the HDD.

Thats it.

I've tried the following as well:

Re-downloading all the ISO images

Installing Esxi 5.0 (PSOD just after "Initializing memory") - VMWARE-ESXi-5.0.0-Rollup-20111216.iso

esxi5.1 issue.jpg

Installing Esxi 5.1 (PSOD just after "Initializing memory" as above)  -VMware-VMvisor-Installer-201210001-838463.x86_64.iso

and 5.5 (error described above)-VMware-VMvisor-Installer-201501001-2403361.x86_64.iso

Searching for esxi driver updates relating to x99 chipset and Intel ICh10r but found none

Any help is much appreciated and needed!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WHW1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi everyone

I managed to solve it in a round-about way.

I gave up on the mobo/cpu/ram combination and swapped the board,ram and cpu out for another I7 core with 32gb ddr3 Ram.

During installation of ESXI on this other setup (motherboard is  GA-X79-UD3) I found out that ESXI doesn't pick up the software raid as created by the mobo bios, and so I purchased an Intel RS2WG160 raid controller and battery, updated the intel RAID BIOS, set up the raid as I needed and installed ESXI without any problems (after downloading the latest VIB for the sata from http://www.v-front.de/2013/11/how-to-make-your-unsupported-sata-ahci.html, and the VIB files on offer from the Intel support site)

Once I had installed ESXi, I decided to try swapping the GA-X79-UD3 mobo,ram and cpu out with my original configuration (being the X99s MPower, DDR4 RAM and I7 5960X CPU)

, but without re-installing ESXI.

It worked perfectly for me at that point

Bottom line - install the ESXI using a different mobo,cpu and ram, then swap those out and reboot.

Hope that helps others

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
raisalkh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have same issue any solution got, pls share me,

Raisal

raisalkh@gmail.com

0 Kudos
WHW1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi everyone

I managed to solve it in a round-about way.

I gave up on the mobo/cpu/ram combination and swapped the board,ram and cpu out for another I7 core with 32gb ddr3 Ram.

During installation of ESXI on this other setup (motherboard is  GA-X79-UD3) I found out that ESXI doesn't pick up the software raid as created by the mobo bios, and so I purchased an Intel RS2WG160 raid controller and battery, updated the intel RAID BIOS, set up the raid as I needed and installed ESXI without any problems (after downloading the latest VIB for the sata from http://www.v-front.de/2013/11/how-to-make-your-unsupported-sata-ahci.html, and the VIB files on offer from the Intel support site)

Once I had installed ESXi, I decided to try swapping the GA-X79-UD3 mobo,ram and cpu out with my original configuration (being the X99s MPower, DDR4 RAM and I7 5960X CPU)

, but without re-installing ESXI.

It worked perfectly for me at that point

Bottom line - install the ESXI using a different mobo,cpu and ram, then swap those out and reboot.

Hope that helps others

0 Kudos