VMware Cloud Community
GreyMatter007
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing B120i HP SATA driver DL380e on ESXi 6

Hi All

Hope some one may be able to assist. I am trying to install the HP Sata B120i driver vib file downloaded from HP on ESXi 6. Here's the command I am using

esxcli software vib install –v "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/images/hp-sata-b120i-driver.vib"

and the output I get is:

Error: Unknown command or namespace software vib install –v /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/images/hp-sata-b120i-driver.vib

I have tried this on ESXi 6 and ESXi 5.1 and get the exact same error.

Not sure what to do from here - Help?

yes ESXi Shell is running, and I am logging in via ssh.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I basically followed this KB: VMware KB: Installing async drivers on VMware ESXi 5.x and ESXi 6.0.x on installing new drivers for my B320i controller, which I think is the same for your B120i. In short I made these steps:

• downloading the new hpvsa driver
  • extracting the zip file and uploading the *.vib to the datastore
  • go to SSH shell and copy the *.vib from datastore to /var/log/vmware
  • install the driver by: esxcli software vib install –v /var/log/vmware/<vibname.vib here>
  • if everything installs fine, no error messages etc., reboot the host
  • after host is back up, ssh to it again and check if driver is installed and used: esxcli software vib list | grep -i hpvsa

But did you download the offline bundle (zip) driver for the VMWare version you are running? Usually there are different driver packages for several VMWare versions (e.g. one for 5.0, 5.5 and probably now 6.0).

You usually can't install a 5.1 driver on 6.0 and vice versa.

hth

cykVM

GreyMatter007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I basically followed the same steps as you have indicated. The thing that I am finding interesting is that when I download the driver from HP website, I specify ESXi 6 and it gives a a specific version number on the website download table, but when this is downloaded the version number on the files is for ESXi 5.5. So I wonder if the error I am receiving is due to the difference in the file name and perhaps the HP website is serving up the wort version.

Can I ask where did you retrieve your driver files from?

thanks

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Just to clarify: I do not run ESXi 6, yet.

I always download the drivers for my server directly from HP support pages for the DL380e Gen8.

Just checked and latest driver for vSphere 6 is 5.5.0-92OEM.550.0.0.1331820.x86_64.vib, so there is nothing for 6.0.0, yet. It's the latest -92 driver for 5.5.0.

Guess the -92 driver is somehow modified to be installed on ESXi 6.

Did you also copy the VIB over to /var/log/vmware - I think on my last driver update this was essential, was not working from any datastore.

You may also try to install 6.0 with all relevant HP drivers included from the HP customized VMWare 6 installation image. See: Download VMware vSphere

0 Kudos