VMware Cloud Community
masouddorostkar
Contributor
Contributor

Problem in taking a snapshot

Hi

One of our VMs had gone to unresponsive state and i killed its process with esxcli vm process kill --type force --world-id <ID>

after that veeam can not take a snapshot and in vcenter it shows "another task is already in progress"

Untitled.png

I have got the task list for this vm in esxi console

vim-cmd vmsvc/get.tasklist haTask-1086-vim.VirtualMachine.createSnapshot-436735209

(vim.fault.NotFound) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,

msg = "Unable to find a VM corresponding to "haTask-1086-vim.VirtualMachine.createSnapshot-436735209"",

}

what can I do ?

it is ESXi 5.1

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hi,

have you tried consolidating the VM's snapshot by right-clicking it and selecting Consolidate? KB: VMware KB: Consolidating snapshots in vSphere 5.x/6.0 Also try unregistering and re-registering your VM on the ESXi host.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
masouddorostkar
Contributor
Contributor

tried to consolidate but it says the same thing "another task is already in progress" but didn't try the unregistering because it needs downtime, i will inform you about the result

Thanks

0 Kudos
FritzBrause
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please check http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010310.

Also check your backup server if it has a file from the VM still attached.

If the backup server is a virtual machine, check with "Edit Settings". If there is one attached, remove it (NOT delete from disk, just removing it).

If it is a physical server, reboot it to make sure all locks are released and orphaned processes are stopped.

If the VM is powered off (you said you killed it), find out if there are still running processes for the VM or locked files.

The below steps only make sense if the VM is powered off (otherwise of course processes are running and files are locked).

1. Go into home folder of virtual machine and run "touch *". This will check for any file locks.

So you would get "Device or resource busy" if files are still accessed for this VM.

2. esxcli vm process list

-> Shows you if the VM is still running

3. ps | grep <VMname>

4. vmkvsitools lsof | grep Virtual_Machine_Name

Will show you if there are still worlds/cartels running accessing the VMs disks.

iiToby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try restarting the management agents on the host where the VM is, there might be a stale process still running.

Check out this KB

kb.vmware.com/kb/1003490

I have had similar problems with HPDP all the fun that thing brings.

Restarting the management will not take the VM offline, however the host may or may not disconnect and reconnect from vCenter

Cheers

@iiToby

0 Kudos