VMware Cloud Community
EKroboter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem creating snapshots - An error occurred while saving the snapshot: A required file was not found.

Hello everyone,

Begin I start, just want to clarify that I'm new to ESXi. I've built a secondary server for the specific purpose of testing out the features and making mistakes in order to learn. For the past few weeks I've been creating, editing and re-creating VMs on our host and learning along the way. The following issue arose after deleting hard drives from a VM. I had added two extra hard drives to a VM in order to understand how it worked, and after I had no more use for these two extra drives, I deleted them from the VM using the web UI. The process gave no errors, but I believe I made a rookie mistake by also deleting the extra vmdks from the datastore manually using the datastore explorer.

Now, after trying to create a snapshot of the VM, I'm getting this error:

An error occurred while saving the snapshot: A required file was not found.

An error occurred while taking the snapshot: A required file was not found.

Here's the screenshot for reference. I'm assuming the file that can't be found is a vmdk (which I thought wasn't necessary since the hard drive had been removed).

Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 15.49.41.png

In this state, the VM boots up normally with no errors. I just can't take any further snapshots. I will appreciate all the help I can get.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
klapkaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you look into snapshot manager is there any snapshot ?

0 Kudos