VMware Cloud Community
Bionixs
Contributor
Contributor

Problem creating datastore on new r720.

Hey i just a vm server that will be going to a sub company we are starting.  I tried the current Esxi 5 and it said it coudn't find the network adapters, so i downloaded the dell esxi disk which fixed the problem (however it's telling me a i have 60 days evaluation, and i need to get a key after it's done.)  The dell disk got me up and running and i used vpshere to connect to it (dhcp assigned ip / also tried static).  After i connect, i have to install a datastore, cause there isn't one (esxi is installed to a internal sd drive).  That's where i run into problems, the connection drops.  To verify that it isn't an network issues i used vsphere to connect to an existing host and left it to see if it would drop, and it doesn't.

So i have 2 question.  Anyone know how to fix the dropping problem?  and how do i install the free esxi hypervisor with no evaulation.  These are the sequences i get:

1).  I choose to create datastore

ds0.png

2).  Choose Disk

ds01.png

3).  Choose raid array

ds02.png

4).  Choose filesystem.

ds03.png

5).  It does this for about 4 minutes.

ds04.png

6).  Then i start getting this.....

ds05.png

7).  Then...

ds06.png

8).  Then...

ds07.png

P.s: i've now tried to connecting to the new host and no doing anything to see if it drops me, and i've been connected for about an hour+.

Message was edited by: Bionixs

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JurijC
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same problem using the factory created partition on the internal disks in a RAID array, the solution was to remove the array and recreate it. Another user on the Dell forums found out that removing the partition and recreating it with fdisk in CLI was sufficient to solve the problem. (I can't find the forum thread right now, the Dell forum is not displayed properly on my iPad)

Hope it helps, if you haven't solved it already by yourself.

Regards,

Jurij

0 Kudos
Bionixs
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry it took me a bit to get back.  yes i had figured that to be the problem, i tried running the cli commands to fix it and had no luck so i just used gparted and got going.

0 Kudos