VMware Cloud Community
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem connecting to iSCSI storage

We have 2 ESXi 4.1 servers having no problem connecting to our iSCSI storage. However, the 3rd ESXi 4.1 server just could not get any path to connect to our iSCSI storage.

A funny issue is that when I execute "esxcfg-swiscsi -e" to enable iSCSI Software Adapter and have verified that it is enabled by execute "esxcfg-swiscsi -q", the GUI still shows that it is disabled. However, when I use the GUI to enable or disable, the CLI reflect the status correctly. Anyway, I have enable it from both GUI and CLI, but it just can't get any path. Any idea?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I found the reason (see attached). When executing "esxcfg-scsidevs -a", my software iSCSI adapter is showing this:

vmhba33 iscsi_vmk         online    iscsi.vmhba33                           iSCSI Software Adapter
There is a mismatch between CLI and GUI again.
CLI - iscsi.vmhba33
GUI - iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:localhost-dell2900
Is there a way to enter the iSCSI Name (WWN) in CLI in order to ensure that both interface match???
0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

This command brings the IQN name by Cli. Have you tried this

vmkiscsi-tool -I -l vmhba33 or <adaptername>
If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks! The output is showing the correct full iSCSI name. If this is not the cause of my problem, what else could be the cause? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
ImranMogal
Contributor
Contributor

Check you iSCSI storage configuration for 3rd esxi host IQN

0 Kudos
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The configurations are the same except for IP addresses and name on the host.

I will double-check my network connections and switch configuration to ensure the VLANs are the same too. Can't think of any other cause.

0 Kudos
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found the cause. It's VLAN configuration on the SAN switch! Switch to the ports that shared the same VLAN resolve the issue.

0 Kudos