VMware Cloud Community
westcoaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem configuring APC UPS and VMA

I recently purchased an APC Smart UPS 1500 and Network Management Card so that I could gracefully shutdown my ESXi 5 guests and hosts when the UPS is on battery. I am following the instructions here http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11588/~/install-pcns-3.0.1-on-esxi-5.0-with-vma-5.0 . I gotten stuck on page 55 where I verify communication. When I run the command "vicfg-nics -l" it asks me for a username and password. I have tried using admin, root, and vi-admin along with any possible passwords, to no avail. I always get "Error connecting to server at 'https://localhost/sdk/webService' : Connection refused"

Right now if I schedule a shutdown of the UPS, the APC agent on VMA shows that it knows a shutdown is happening, but it does not shutdown the ESXi guests or hosts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have to make sure your server was successfully added to vifp.

sudo vifp addserver <server_ip_here>

Make sure it's added:

vifp listservers

Then run, vifptarget -s <server_name_or_ip>

Only then will the 'vicfg-nics -l' command will work without additional options required.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have to make sure your server was successfully added to vifp.

sudo vifp addserver <server_ip_here>

Make sure it's added:

vifp listservers

Then run, vifptarget -s <server_name_or_ip>

Only then will the 'vicfg-nics -l' command will work without additional options required.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
westcoaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you! That fixed my problem. vifptarget -s wouldn't work at first, I had to do sudo vifp removeserver and do the process over again, but it worked. I must have missed that step the first time. To be honest I found the document a bit difficult to read due to the page layout and fonts. Your steps were much clearer.

0 Kudos