VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor

Problem after resizing HD!!!

Hi all,

After expanding a HD of one of my VMs, I've got this error message :

" Cannot open the disk ' /vmfs/volumes/3a8d59f1-c7bf6528-0fe2-0024e867e351/servername/servername-000001.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disk it depends on. Reason : The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created. "

I've deleted the snapshot, but the VM still pointing on the snapshot vmdk. Is there a way to change the disk file of this vm to make it point on the extended hard disk?

If no, is there anything else I may do?

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

How did you resize the hard disk of your VM, did you use VMWare Standalone Converter to resize the VM hard disk?

I usually use the VMWare Standalone Converter to resize hard disk(s) of VMs, all you are required to do is convert (even within the same ESXi host) the VM and during the conversion process resize the VM hard disks. Another thing to note is all snapshots will be removed after the conversion in the new VM. VMWare Standalone Converter 4.0 is a free tool. I use the tool very much and it's saves me a lot of hassle of copying VMs, resizing hard disks etc.

Hope this information is useful to you

Nikhil

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Johnny,

Have a look at this kb if it can help.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor

I've followed those steps...

http://www.referenceti.com/?p=88

sorry it is in french.

0 Kudos
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor

Here's my actual listing :

~ # cd vmfs/volumes/datastore1/sservername/vmfs/volumes/4a8d59f1-c7bf6528-0fe2-0024e867e351/servername # ls -al

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2380 Sep 7 10:51 .

drwxr-xr-t 1 root root 3080 Sep 7 11:19 ..

-rw------- 1 root root 7499479040 Sep 7 10:33 servername-00001-delta.vmdk

-rw------- 1 root root 303 Jul 23 18:26 servername-000001.vmdk

-rw------- 1 root root 53687091200 Sep 7 11:57 servername-flat.vmdk

-rw------- 1 root root 8684 Sep 7 10:33 servername.nvram

-rw------- 1 root root 500 Sep 7 11:20 servername.vmdk

-rw------- 1 root root 471 Sep 7 10:41 servername.vmsd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2987 Sep 7 11:21 servername.vmx

-rw------- 1 root root 1851 Sep 7 11:21 servername.vmxf

-rw-rr 1 root root 1287421 Feb 12 2010 vmware-1.log

-rw-rr 1 root root 164311 Feb 17 2010 vmware-2.log

-rw-rr 1 root root 613304 Jul 6 10:16 vmware-3.log

-rw-rr 1 root root 794569 Sep 7 10:33 vmware-4.log

-rw-rr 1 root root 35875 Sep 7 10:40 vmware-5.log

-rw-rr 1 root root 35875 Sep 7 10:40 vmware-6.log

-rw-rr 1 root root 35875 Sep 7 10:51 vmware.log

To make my server work, I've created a new vm and make it pointing on the extend HD. It works, but without the snapshot, I'm out of date. Is there a way to use the snapshot even if I've have deleted it in IC? Because it is still on the hard disk og the host. servername-00001.vmdk

I'm really lost right now.

Help!

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Have a look at this kb about "Moving or copying a virtual machine within a VMware environment" (je ne pense pas qu'il y ait de version française de cette doc...) . It is always recommended to commit all snapshots before copying or moving virtual disks.

Franck

0 Kudos
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor

I understand, but the change is already made. So I wonder about how to fix that now...

0 Kudos
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor

What I need to know is if there's a way to update the servename.vmdk with the servername-00001.vmdk file?

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

You have the base virtual disk and the snapshot disk, in this scenario I would have checked the CID and PID of the base disk and the snapshot disk and then try to commit the snapshots.

If the commit fails due to some reason I would have used vmkfstools -i to clone the virtual disk and consolidate the snapshot into a new virtual disk.

If there have been any new writes on the base virtual disk consolidating the snapshot disk might cause data corruption in the Windows File systems, you can still try the above steps but make sure that you have a back of the VM first.

KB would help you to consolidate the snapshots.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f10

VCP3,VCP4,HP UX CSA

http://kb.vmware.com/

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

If you already started the VM with "servername.vmdk", it is too late. You have to get another copy of this file back. Otherwise, I'm not sure the data in the virtual disk will be consistent.

If you still have the original parent disk, try to modify "servername.vmx" and replace "servername.vmdk" by "servername-00001.vmdk" and follow the first KB I mentioned to recreate the snapshot chain.

0 Kudos
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor

When I try to move the snapshot fil, in my case srvvqcdev01-000001.vmdk, I get this error message " The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created (18) "...

So I'm unable to follow the procedure...

0 Kudos
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor

When I try to move the snapshot fil, in my case srvvqcdev01-000001.vmdk, I get this error message " The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created (18) "...

So I'm unable to follow the procedure...

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

Johnny, can u tell us what is the current situation is the VM powered off with the base virtual disk and snapshot file OR have to used the base virtual disk with a new VM, if yes has anything been written to the disk.

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor

I used the base disk with a new VM but the data is out of date...

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

That is expected because the snapshot data is not written to the base disk.

If you have a backup, use this base disk with the snapshot disk and 1. check if the CID and PID are matching 2. try to commit the snapshot - if it errors out tell us what error is reported.

if the CID and PID are in order and you are not able to commit the snapshots using the command line use vmkfstools -i to clone the disk so that the new vmdk that would be created would have to base disk and snapshot disk consolidated.

use this kb http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1007849 to follow the above steps.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

f10

VCP3,VCP4,HP UX CSA

0 Kudos