manavsood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem adding ISCSI LUN to a virtual ESXi 4.1 Server

Hi Guys,

Having a really wierd problem.

Scenario -
I have 2 x ESXi 4.1(Let's call them B and C) running as VMs inside of another ESXi 4.1 host(Let's call this A). Reason why this is done is because it is a test lab and I have limited number of servers available.

Problem -

The problem I am having is that the LUNs that I create on my HP P4000 VSA SAN don't show up on B & C. However, they do show up on A. I have consulted with HP and confirm that IQN numbers of the ISCSI Intiators for B and C are all assigned to the specific LUN. HP have confirmed that there is nothing wrong with my config and told me that its a VMWARE issue.

A bit more detailed look at the Problem -

1.      On B (or C) I have enabled the ISCSI Initiator.

2.     Next I did a dynamic discovery by mentioning the IP address of my SAN Cluster and it did pickup the "LUN ID" in the Static Discovery tab. So far so good.                       

3.    Next I rescan all HBAs.
I go to Storage and scan for new Datastores/LUN. Nothing gets picked up. This is the strange part (the problem part)

Someone suggested to me that since B & C are actually VMs inside another ESXi, the firewall might be blocking ISCSI connections. I did a bit of research and found the following information - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102684...

“ESXi does not include a firewall because it runs a limited set of well-known services and prevents the addition of further services.

With such restrictions, the factors that necessitate a firewall are significantly reduced. As such, no firewall is integrated in to ESXi.

For more information, see the ESXi Configuration Guide.”

Note -

1. ISCSI LUN can be added inside Host A without any issues.
2. I have already configured a VMKernel Port inside B & C (Picture file of the networking View inside of B or C is attached). Note that all vmnics are virtual, since the machine B in question is actually a VM.

Any help with this will be highly appreciated as my project is stalled at the moment!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
w1nter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i mean, enable promiscious mode on the vswitch on your physical esx host that is running the virtuals.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

instead of A and VSA on the same level, with not virtualize the VSA on top of A so that your VSA and B and C would be one the same level and hence it would be how you will present normally ..

0 Kudos
manavsood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi idle-jam,

I suppose I could try that, but I am trying to build a lab to try out features such as HA & FT.

The problem with putting the VSA on the same server is that I won't be able to efficiently test Vmotion, SVmotion, HA & FT etc. etc.because I need to be able to turn them off etc. Moreover each one of my servers only have 4GB RAM.

Just to explain a bit more about my setup, I am attaching a network diagram.
ESX-MAIN, ESX-HOME1 and ESX-SAN are actual servers.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will not be able to test FT on a nested ESXi environment (i could be wrong). but for storage vmotion, vmotion and HA (just make sure the VSA is not on the failing host) would be fine. i'm wish i could help you out in getting your setup right but then your diagram looks all good ..

0 Kudos
manavsood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I will try your suggestion.
Maybe that will rule out the firewall issue of the equation.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

once if the above works then u can slowly isolate and investigate what would be stopping your current setup ..

0 Kudos
manavsood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok.

I created the VSA inside ESX-MAIN (A) and then tried to add LUN to A and it worked just like before.

Adding LUN to B still doesn't work. Now I am really confused Smiley Sad
Any more ideas?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can you follow this tutorial in creating a new LUN and see it if works? at least you're doing from scratch without any inherited misconfiguration .. http://jreypo.wordpress.com/2010/04/17/add-iscsi-volumes-from-hp-p4000-vsa-to-vmware-esxi4/

0 Kudos
manavsood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi idle-jam,

Did exactly the same thing.

All my vmnics inside of B are mapped to VMNETWORK Switch 1 of A.

0 Kudos
w1nter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

have you enabled promiscious mode on the vmkernel ports/vSwitches you have the iscsi interface on? your not doing any port binding yet are you?

0 Kudos
w1nter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i mean, enable promiscious mode on the vswitch on your physical esx host that is running the virtuals.

0 Kudos
manavsood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

w1nter,

You are awesome buddy.
Enabled the Prominicious mode and rebooted server. Can successfully map ISCSI LUNS to B & C now.

What is the logic behind enabling promnicious mode though?

0 Kudos
w1nter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you virtualize ESX on ESX you need to enable promiscious mode for the hosting vSwitch you are connecting the vESX to, for storge, vMotion and VM networking. Also remember you will need to add

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"

to the .vmx of your vESX files, otherwise esx wont be able to power on VMs.

0 Kudos
manavsood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi w1nter,

Even though I am not upto the stage yet to upload the VM Machines to vESXi servers, but I can't find that option you stated above in the vmx file.

Here it is attached.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll need to add the line in yourself.  It is not present by default.

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

0 Kudos
TdisalvoOrinoco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Winter1 - you are a god send.

I am so glad I found this post.  I was in the middle of writing up my own problem on ESXi 5 and found this post.  I am in the same situation with one host and an iSCSI SAN, trying to build out a more advanced vmware lab so that I can start working with vcloud director, orchestrator and other stuff but need at least a 2 host HA DRS cluster to do any of that.

This saved me.  I am going to still post my question and put this link as the answer.  I am hopping that I can aware the points to you.  If you get a chance just reply to my post and I will aware the points.

Thanks a million.

0 Kudos