VMware Cloud Community
TheSwitcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Probably a stupid question...Patching

I noticed in my environment that there are several different image profiles.  Would I be correct in assuming that each one of these profiles is basically a patch roll-up?  If I install the newest Image profile will it show that host as being compliant in update manager when comparing all of the Patch IDs? Just want to make sure that using update manager will keep all of my hosts up to date and that there is no reason to install a newer image profile other than on brand new hosts. 

One last question, any good places to subscribe to know when patches get released?

Thanks for you help

0 Kudos
3 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the forums!

If you are referring to host profiles then I do not believe that they check the patch version but for your other question you can setup Update Manager to email you notifications for all patches that are released for your hosts:

There is some information here for 5.1, will be similar for the other versions too. (See the bold and underlined section below)

Hope this helps! :

Prerequisites

To configure notification checks, make sure that the machine on which Update Manager is installed has Internet access.

Connect the vSphere Client to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered, and on the Home page, click Update Manager under Solutions and Applications. If your vCenter Server system is part of a connected group in vCenter Linked Mode, you must specify the Update Manager instance to use, by selecting the name of the corresponding vCenter Server system in the navigation bar.

Procedure

On the Configuration tab under Settings click Notification Check Schedule.

Make sure that the Enable scheduled download check box is selected.

Note

If you deselect the check box, the scheduled task that checks for notifications is disabled. However, you can still force a check and download notifications by clicking the Check Notifications link on the Notifications tab or the Download Now button in Download Settings on the Configuration tab.

Click Edit Notifications on the upper right.

The Schedule Notification wizard appears.

Specify a task name and, optionally, a description, or keep the defaults.

Specify the Frequency, Start Time, and Interval of the task, and click Next.

(Optional) Specify one or more email addresses where notifications about patch recalls or email alerts are sent, and click Next.

You must configure mail settings for the vCenter Server system to enable this option.

On the Ready to Complete page, click Finish.

The task runs according to the time you specified.

VMware vSphere 5.1

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
TheSwitcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

‌I have already setup email alerts on update manager. I am not talking about host profiles. I should have been more clear.  I am talking about the ISO used to install vSphere for a host. If a host is selected then Summary, it displays the image used to install vSphere.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's correct. The profile shown on the Summary page is the one that's used for installing the host. After you update/patch the displayed profile will remain the same, but with "(updated)" appended to it. VUM will of course keep the host up-to-date, regardless of which image profile was used for initial installation, i.e. is displayed in the host's summary.

One last question, any good places to subscribe to know when patches get released?

See https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/Help.html

André

0 Kudos