VMware Cloud Community
actyler1001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Prevent NFS connections on boot ?

Hey we've got a host that is still trying to connect to NFS shares for a device that has been long since removed from the environment.  It isn't really a problem, but it causes the host to take a long time to boot.  Anyone know how I can prevent the host from doing this?  Everything I've found online seems to refer to using commands like "esxcli storage nfs list" and "esxcfg-nas -l" to first identify the NFS shares you want to remove.  Because the connection was never successful though, it comes up empty.  host still tries to connect on restart though.

Here is where the host is hanging on boot for a long time.  I was able to identify this console output by using the ALT+F12 trick.

168: NFS mount <IP Address>:/vol/nfsshare failed: Unable to connect to NFS server

3341: Synchronous RPC abort for client 0xblahblah IP <NFS IP Address>

Regards,

Adam Tyler

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
actyler1001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, I did a hail Mary search using grep...   '000.000.000.000' is in place of the actual NFS datastore IP address.

[root@esxihost:~] grep -r '000.000.000.000' .

I actually found some results in a file here " ./etc/vmware/esx.conf "  It took a copy of the esx.conf file and then used "vi" to delete the related lines.  Server seems to boot quickly now.  Wonder what else I broke in the process.....  So far so good.

Regards,

Adam Tyler

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
actyler1001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, I did a hail Mary search using grep...   '000.000.000.000' is in place of the actual NFS datastore IP address.

[root@esxihost:~] grep -r '000.000.000.000' .

I actually found some results in a file here " ./etc/vmware/esx.conf "  It took a copy of the esx.conf file and then used "vi" to delete the related lines.  Server seems to boot quickly now.  Wonder what else I broke in the process.....  So far so good.

Regards,

Adam Tyler

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why don't you just unmount and remove the data store that no longer exists? Would not be a better solution than to apply a bandage?

0 Kudos
actyler1001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There was no option in the GUI or cli to remove these datastores.  What would you suggest in that scenario?

Regards,

Adam Tyler

0 Kudos