VMware Cloud Community
rohded
Contributor
Contributor

Precision T3500 and BCM 5761 NIC

I have a new T3500 Workstation and have trouble getting recognition of the onboard nic. I added some INTEL PCI nics and they are recognized and do allow connectivity.

I would like to add the Broadcom 5761 to the mix (it is GIG) and allow more separation of the guests.

I have found a few things but no real fixes.

I did check the PCIID's file and IT IS Listed in there. What else does it take to get it working.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Did you install ESXi 4, 4.0 u1, 4.0 u2, or 4.1???

I've stopped using the Broadcom NIC that's in my T7400 since it doesn't support jumbo frames (at all)... The Intel NIC's I'm running DO support that feature, so I just run those (one dual and one quad port card)...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
rohded
Contributor
Contributor

I used the ESXi 4.1 Installable.

I am not concerned about using jumbo frames, just getting it working.

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

No listing on the VMware HCL for the BCM5761 network controller under ANY release of 4.x (4.0 through 4.1)... The only additional driver downloads are listing ESX/ESXi 4.0, not 4.1... You MIGHT get the drivers from that download, but then again you might not... Since there's no listing on the latest driver ISO file (downloaded and looked already), I'd wager that it won't work with that NIC.

Personally, I'd just stick with fully supported (Intel) NIC's and forget about the lone controller that's the onboard... It might be included with the next release, or update, for ESXi, but then again it might not...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
gmbsrt8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have two T5500's running ESX and ESXi in my lab and I use the BCM 5761 in both.  Check the last couple entries of this post ->

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1527067

gb

0 Kudos