VMware Cloud Community
brentcochran
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Powerpath/VE installation error

Hello Folks,

I'm trying to get powerpath installed on a couple Vsphere servers that we've recently built out and i'm not able to do so. I'm following this EMC whitepaper:

Here are my results when following the remoteCLI commands provided:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin>vihostupdate.pl --server 172.16.63.4 --install --bundle c:/PowerPathVE/EMCPower.VMWARE.5.4.b257.zip

Enter username: root

Enter password:

unpacking c:/PowerPathVE/EMCPower.VMWARE.5.4.b257.zip ...

metadata.zip.sig does not exist

signature mismatch : metadata.zip

Unable to unpack update package.

I do have a file named 'metadata.zip' in the archive but nothing named 'metadata.zip.sig.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Help is easy.

You do not need Powerpath on ESX servers. They have the multipathing already included.

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

could please give more idea on this what's is this

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Powerpath?

AWo

0 Kudos
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

yes sir

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

When you want to dual-attach a host to an EMC SAN you need their software called Powerpath. It enables seamless failover if a HBA dies and load balancing.

ESX has its own multipathing drivers and doesn't need Powerpath.

Powerpath/VE is an extension with added functionality.

English video: http://germany.emc.com/collateral/demos/microsites/mediaplayer-video/emc-powerpath-ve-intelligent-pa...

AWo

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

If you have a Powerlink account, use the Live Chat support (Support > Request Support > Lice Chat)

You'll get in contact with an EMC technician very quickly. Ask him. I made very good experiences with this support offering.

AWo

0 Kudos
brentcochran
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the replies folks. Although there is multipathing built in to ESX, the 'round robin' policy doesn't work with my configuration (Qlogic 2460 HBA, Qlogic 5202 FC switch, EMC CX700 array). I've been happy with the failover portion of mutipathing, but traffic will not route over all available paths (improving performance greatly) without a true MPIO driver. This is why Powerpath/VE was developed and why VMware has certified it's use with ESX 4.

I have found folks with the same error installing lots of other apps so it might be an incompatibility with the remote CLI and ESX 4. I'm going to try the same process using the vMA and see if I have better luck. I will post my results.

Thx - Brent

0 Kudos
brentcochran
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For anyone that might hit this thread in the future, I did get this thing to work by downloading the vMA from

[http://www.vmware.com/go/importvma/vma4.ovf]

Once I got the appliance downloaded and configured, I copied the powerpath install files to the vMA and all worked according to plan.

vihostupdate --server %serverIPaddress% --install --bundle EMCPower.VMWARE.5.4.b257.zip

Thanks - Brent

0 Kudos