VMware Cloud Community
jasonwelch01
Contributor
Contributor

Powerpath - ESXi 4.1 / 5

Hello,

We have a prod cluster (version 4.1) consisting of 18 HP Proliant blades running esxi 4.1.  I didn't build the esxi hosts but was just made aware that these hosts are running an unlicensed version of PowerPath and they are all connected to a VNX.  Each host should have 8 paths to the array

The individual who installed the unlicensed Powerpath version had his reason for installing the unlicensed version and said it shouldn't make a difference.  I'm wondering if anyone has documentation/past experience/knowledge regarding the pros, cons of installing unlicensed powerpath on an esxi host.  Are we putting ourselves at risk running this unlicensed software?

Also, looking for recommendations going forward.  Should we 100% install the licensed powerpath on our hosts, or should we just uninstall the unlicensed and use VMware's NMP, or is running the unlicensed ok???

Any insight, links to white papers is much appreciated.

thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

An unlicensed PP/VE on the hosts wont impede your access to the array, but it wont help either.  Basically, when PP/VE is unlicensed it provides only basic failover services (1 path active at a time), so you are in the same position as if you simply didn't have it installed at all and were using MRU pathing.

Once you license it, you get all the benefits (active load balancing, array aware load balancing, multiple active outstanding IOs, etc).

Should you license it? (full disclosure: I work for EMC, maker of PowerPath)

I'd suggest yes, as it lets you get everything out of your VNX that can be had.  You get faster and better failover than with NMP, and better/more efficient failback on recovery.   You get better performance with the active queue management and load balancing, better throughput from multiple outstanding IOs and better long term management.

All that being said - we absolutely support NMP as well, and you can get good performance that way as well.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
jasonwelch01
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this info Matt.. Are we introducing potential issues by having the unlicensed copy installed?? And should we just go the NMP, if we didn't purchase licensed powerpath?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

jasonwelch01 wrote:

Thanks for this info Matt..  Are we introducing potential issues by having the unlicensed copy installed?? 

I think you are.  Imagine if you have a storage issue.  Because you have powerpath, VMware isn't going to help you much, and direct you to EMC.  EMC is going to see that you have no license or support, and probably wont help you much either.

And should we just go the NMP, if we didn't purchase licensed powerpath?

If you have no intention of purchasing PP/VE, I'd go with your only other supported option (NMP).  EMC and VMware fully support it and have best practices on how to get the most out of it.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos