VMware Cloud Community
hecpr77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PowerEdge R610 fails to power on virtual machines

Hello,

I been working on my Dell PowerEdge R610 for several days trying to figure out how to power on the virtual machines. I currently brought the R610 server. I brought HD's for the server, updated the firmware and bios and when I configured ESXi 6.7, I am able to upload iso's to the datastore, but I can't turn them on. I even tried configuring the ESXi to 6.5 and still, I can't power on the virtual machines. I have a Dell Power Edge 715 and I don't have any issues with that specific server. I researched the issue online and most of the fixes seem to be within the bios. I already made sure that I enabled the Intel VT-x within the bios. That doesn't seem to be the issue. If anyone out there has experience this issue and was able to find a fix, I would really appreciate if you can tell me what did to power on the VM's, Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hecpr77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will try 6.0 or 6.5u3 later on today. Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I use R610s and have no problem. Note, they do not work with 6.7 given the CPUs. What exact error are you receiving?

0 Kudos
hecpr77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I get the error below every time I try to power on a virtual machine:

Failed - This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled. Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting. (1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.' (2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed. (3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware ESX. (4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

• This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled. Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting. (1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.' (2) Power-cycle the host if either of these BIOS/firmware settings have been changed. (3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware ESX. (4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.
  • This host does not support "Intel EPT" hardware assisted MMU virtualization.
  • Module 'CPUIDEarly' power on failed.
  • Failed to start the virtual machine.

I deleted everything to start from scratch, but I still can't power on the virtual machines. I have plenty of storage and plenty of memory. I just can't figure this out. I been working with this for  a while. I verified the Intel VT-x on my bios. That's enabled. I also tried 6.5 ESXi, but I get the same error.

0 Kudos
BenediktFrenzel
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Hecpr,

unfortunatly the old PowerEdge R N10 are not supported with vSphere newer then 6.0

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

// Ben

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, only certified for 6.0 but they run with 6.5u3 very fine.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
hecpr77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
hecpr77
Contributor
Contributor