VMware Cloud Community
Adminicrator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PowerEdge 1850 :: Need to add storage :: ISCSI or SATA controller or? :: Host does not support passthrough configuration

I have a (non-VT capable) PowerEdge 1850 that took an install of ESXi 4.0 U1 (Dell Version) like a champ. I realize I will probably not be able to have 64-bit Guests.

In this ESXi box (lab

server) I have:

• 2 x 73GB U320 SCSI drives in RAID 0 array.

• 6 GB ECC RAM

• 2 x 1GB NICs

• 2 x PCI-X slots (PCI-X 133MHz slot and PCI-X 100/66MHz slot)

I would like to add more "VM/Guest" space and not spend too much money.

What is my best solution?

1. Find a compatible 3Gbps ESATA controller card (I have a lovely 500 GB SATA Drive laying around)? ...

2. Or do I break out an old box and throw a Gigabit NIC & a SATA Drive in it and try my hand at Openfiler? I have yet to try it.

3. ...Or...something else?

Could anyone help me hand pick either a PCI-X ESATA/SATA controller card (Is this possible or am I limited by my attached picture?) or a NIC for my spare box (if any old one will not do)? I understand "_passthrough configuration_" allows my VMs to access hardware on the host directly but I am unclear as to how this effects my desired plans.

I have read over:

...but I am wary to sink money into the hardware with fear that my PowerEdge does not support PassThrough Configuration (does that matter?) I have yet to load a single Guest.

Thanks so much for your time in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Get yourself started with what you have. Don't spend anything. Set up the old PC you have as an NFS storage device. Use openfiler or ?? That will allow you to do whatever investigating/testing you want to do. Keep your eyes open for either a local RAID controller or an older server with lots of fast scsi storage that you can add as NFS or ????

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

PCI-X slots also support PCI. You won't get the same transfer rates but it is probably easier to find older versions of PCI RAID controllers very inexpensively ebay or the like. Look to ebay for older PERC SATA cards. Since MAC's also supported PCI-X you can try online MAC stores for PCI-X RAID controllers. Do consult the HCL and the vm-help.com lists to make sure you get a supportable card.

Setting up an NFS storage device is the easiest way to avoid any incompatibilities. ANY PC will do (GB NIC). A simple LINUX install will get you a functional NFS server. A single line of configuration in the /etc/exports file is all that is required.

Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would go with NFS as that does not involve any $$ down.If you cannot get it to work with the hardware you have (Or it does not work to your liking) you can always then go with new hardware

Also the NFS option allows for adding another systems and clustering down the road.

Adminicrator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why do I see so much talk about Openfiler? Would you use Openfiler or another Linux install?

Also, do you see any issues with regard to my Host not supporting passthrough configuration?

Thanks for your responses.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Openfiler is just a Linux install with a fancy web gui. For NFS there is little use for a fancy interface and in fact it makes setup and configuration a lot more complex for NFS. Openfiler does support iSCSI and CIFS (Windows). If you want to try these then it works just fine. There are many other free/and low cost solutions. Open-e, FreeNas, etc.

NFS is by far the simplest to set up and maintain. As I mentioned earlier the configuration amounts to a single line in the /etc/exports file. If you know absolutely nothing about Linux you should still be able to install Linux and configure NFS in half an hour.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Pasthrough isn't useful for this purpose. VMDirectpath does require hardware support and your machine does not support it.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Another NFS option here is using a small Network storage device from one of many NAS manufacturers. IOmega, Buffalo, etc have small devices that do support NFS. I have actually tried an IOmega Store Center device and for light VMs it worked very well. I have seen it with 2 x 500GB drives for less than $200 and it is on the VMware HCL.

0 Kudos
Adminicrator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DSTAVERT: Thank you!

What is my best/fastest/highest performance solution for around 200+ bucks?

I have a 500 GB SATA II drive to spare. I have a old dual processor Dell Precision to spare.

What would you do? What have you/others done with GREAT results?

This is going to be the heart of my new lab. I am excited to get this going and I appreciate your comments! I hope this thread will help others as well.

So what do you feel? PCI? PCI-X ($)? Openfiler? some other Linux, NAS what else falls into my price range? I guess I can spend a 100 bucks more if it is ultra expandable.

My original post was a request for something hand-picked, as I know so many people in this forum have their own setup and love it

Why not share?

My contribution is that a Dell PowerEdge 1850 will work great with VMware ESXi 4.0 Update 1 (Dell Edition). Even though it is not VT capable. You won't get 64 bit VMs to install but atleast you get a lab/etc....

So what would you run out and buy if you had to spend 200-300 bucks for your VMware ESXi 4.0 U1 Server right now?

Thanks again DSTAVERT and anyone else that can contribute.

0 Kudos
Adminicrator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I missed the Iomega you recommended. Thanks! I am leaving the question open for one more day to see what other moss this rolling stone can gather and marking it as answered. Oh can you give me a part number or link? With 300 bucks would you get something else today?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have a spare PC I wouldn't spend anything yet. Get some experience with your lab. Set up the PC and install openfiler. For NFS you will want to make sure you have a decent GB switch (a backplane that can handle traffic). You might also want to have a reliable NIC (Intel/Broadcom) in your NFS storage device.

If you want to add local disk space then you will need a supported PCI or PCI-X RAID controller form the Hardware Compatibility List. I would look for something from LSI since there would be RAID monitoring in the vSphere Client. You would also need an external enclosure. Look for used or EOL since "new" can be many hundreds of dollars. ebay might be a good source.

0 Kudos
Adminicrator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes but I have been up and down that list and am not looking close enough or I cannot find a PCI-X sata II that is reasonably priced?

Someone help me pick something out please please. Specifically.

Something specific to what you have and love!

I want to spend my $300 bucks and get my arse studying. Smiley Wink

Too many people have angered their wives one too many times... coming home with hardware that would too anger mine!

What is it specifically?? What do you guys have at home/work that I NEED?

Thanks so much,

Adminicrater

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Get yourself started with what you have. Don't spend anything. Set up the old PC you have as an NFS storage device. Use openfiler or ?? That will allow you to do whatever investigating/testing you want to do. Keep your eyes open for either a local RAID controller or an older server with lots of fast scsi storage that you can add as NFS or ????

0 Kudos