VMware Cloud Community
Preferred_comm1
Contributor
Contributor

Power Outage + HDD Failure way to recover Data?

Hi
I did use an ESXi 6.X installation back then on an HP Server and I was in the last weeks to move my UserData Data to an NAS and Cataloge them and do other stuff who needed Time. Well when I was in the Bathroom today I heard the UPS Scream and sadly before I got into my "Server Room" everything got dark. Sure panic... I try to start the Server but no boot partion could be found and the Rail Controller say some drive are gone. Well I know that 2 WD Red "Nas Drives" are gone who i dont care of since the Data are moved before.

So any idea? Any how to before I get a Stroke... 🤔
Before someone argue yes I did make a Backup who is not recent. 😴 Pls dont argue about something I could change (yet).
Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The first thing would be to start a VMware vSphere environment on your server, for this you can connect an 8GB USB key to the server and install the same version of VMware vSphere with its basic data (IP, hostmane etc.), with this you can already see that Volumes can be accessed.
If you manage to boot the server from the USB key then you can see what else can be done.

If the physical disks failed only because of a power failure you could also try to enter the internal controller utility and try to put online the disks that are reported offline or failed one at a time, if the status of the Array changes to rebuild you should wait for it to finish.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
Preferred_comm1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for fast replay.
The Server works fine beside of the HDDs. I dont want to install anything on the internal HDD. Can I run them fully from the USB Dongle?
The only think I ever try is to install them on my "new" Server. I have enough 128GB Dongle.
Is there there a how to for dummy's?
Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos