VMware Cloud Community
Lemmy82
Contributor
Contributor

Possible to configure multiple iSCSI sessions over a single connection?

Hey there,

I've just integrated an iSCSI Target using ESX4's software initiator and I noticed on the target-machine (Solaris Storage-Server) that ESX is only using one session.

Is it possible to configure the initiator so that is using multiple sessions for a target? At the moment the target-machine has only one NIC connecting to our IP-SAN so we can't use multipathing.

Help is appreciated.

Thanks

Lemmy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
matthiaseisner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Lemmy!

The problem is, as u wrote, that the target has only one nic. Add more nics to the target and additional a second nic to the vswitch on which the VMkernel port is configured. This should help :-).

Best Regards

Matthias

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Why would you want to do this?

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
Lemmy82
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately that is not possible at the moment.

0 Kudos
Lemmy82
Contributor
Contributor

The target-machine has a 10G-ethernet connection and with a single session we are far away from using a decent bandwith on the link. We did some tests with iSCSI initiators who support multiple session over one connection and got some very good results with those.

So back to my question: Does the ESX iSCSI Initiator support multiple sessions for a target? And if yes.. how do I configure this?

0 Kudos
matthiaseisner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Easy answer: no

Best Regards

Matthias

Lemmy82
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

0 Kudos