VMware Cloud Community
szunic
Contributor
Contributor

Possibility of using IBM DS300 storage for a development ESXi host

Recently I got hold of an IBM DS300 SAN and wanted to put it to use as storage for an ESXi 4.1 host. I am aware that it is not on supported hardware list, however since this is a development/test setup, I don't really care, just want to see if it is possible to make it work at all.

The host is an IBM x336 series server.

What I did so far:

1. Installed ESXi 4.1 U1 on the host. Host had a qLogic QLA4050C iSCSI card during installation, however since it caused massive slowdown of the server in local console mode, and no access from VI client, I removed it. There were numerous reboots in between. The card wasn't connected to SAN.

2. Enabled software iSCSI initiator on the host, and set up another switch and dedicated network card, assigned IP address and connected to storage switch. Was able to ping, vmkping from host to storage and ping from storage to host.

3. Entered storage IP address in dynamic discovery, and got it's two IP addresses and IQNs in static discovery list. Second IP address is in another subnet (controller has two data network interfaces in two subnets) and I am connected to it (have only one available NIC).

Here I am stuck. I am not connected to any targets, see no LUNs, paths, etc.

Can anyone confirm (this way or the other) if there is any chance I could use this device for ESXi?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
szunic
Contributor
Contributor

3. Entered storage IP address in dynamic discovery, and got it's two IP addresses and IQNs in static discovery list. Second IP address is in another subnet (controller has two data network interfaces in two subnets) and I am not connected to it (have only one available NIC).

Fixed typo.

0 Kudos
szunic
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to make QLA4050C HBAs working by upgrading to latest firmware/bios from qlogic site. However, the only thing I can do with them is dynamically discover target (DS300 IP address on each subnet).

I can ping from storage to HBAs but I can't ping the other way around (so in that sense it is worse than using software initiator).

The HBAs were set up in a Windows 2003 Server host (identical hardware) and I can use the storage perfectly from there.

0 Kudos