Contributor
Contributor

Possibility of building required system with ESXi

Hi All!

My hardware will be:

1. Intel 5520 platform with 2 x Xeon 55xx series

2. 24 Gb of memory

3. 8 x SAS HDDs with Adaptec 5805 controller

I need with this hardware deploy the ASP.NET web-project with PostgreSQL database backend

It is a possible to build on this hardware with ESXi 2 VMs:

1. Windows Web Server 2008 64-bit running IIS 7.0 and ASP.NET application:1 CPU, 12 Gb RAM, 2 x SAS on RAID 1

2. Solaris 64-bit running PostgreSQL: 1 CPU, 12 Gb RAM, 2 x SAS for OS on RAID 1, 4 x SAS for PostgreSQL databases on RAID 10

Problem is that for ESXi no HDD present (8 is the maximum).

What configuration possible (if possible) with no perfomance degradation?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Why would you want to have raid in your VM's? You don't need raid in your VM's as long as the storage is redundant by itself.

So use the 8 HDD's to create a RAID-5 or RAID-6 storage array, and configure your VM's with the required virtual disks.

So, for example, if you have 8 72GB disks, create a 504GB RAID-5 set and then create a datastore on it.

For your VM's:

Windows Web Server 2008 64-bit running IIS 7.0 and ASP.NET application:1 CPU, 12 Gb RAM, 1 virtual disk.

Solaris 64-bit running PostgreSQL: 1 CPU, 12 Gb RAM, 1 virtual disk for OS, 1 virtual disk for PostgreSQL databases

stristan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the informative reply!

One more question - if I have created RAID on 8 disks - then I must to divide it into a 2 LUNs: 1 for the ESXi installation and 1 for VMs? What is your recomendation?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Install ESXi to a USB memory stick. No lun for ESXi required. ESXi is very small and it only requires a 1GB partition (2GB if you want to have extra) if you need to install to your array.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
stristan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos