VMware Cloud Community
lockmcintyre
Contributor
Contributor

Poor performance between ESXi hosts

Hi guys.

I have 2 brand new servers that we are using as ESXi hosts (they are separate, no HA or clustering or anything).

I am using SCP to transfer some VM's between these 2 servers, and am only getting 3Mb/s!

Any ideas why this could be? I get quicker speeds downloading at home, let alone on a 1gb link.

There are no other servers on the network, no VM's running, and both servers are perfectly up for the job (SAS disks etc).

I have only installed the hypervisor, nothing else, so I am lost as to why the speeds are so slow.

I've changed the switch as well in the hope it was that, but no luck.

Any help appreciated!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndySimmons
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you post some screenshots or details of your vSwitch configs? Do your ESXi hosts only have one vSwitch connecting them?

Also, I doubt this will get you where you WANT to be, but changing the cipher type to arcfour can help boost speed a little bit.

scp -c arcfour localfile remotehost:/some/path

-Andy VCAP5-DCA, VCP-DV 4/5, MCSE, space camp graduate.
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Welcome to the Forums!!!

Did you check if speed of adapter are working at 1Gbps ?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

I can only think of the adapter speed. Maybe its set to 10 Mbps ? or 100? not 1g?

VCP-DCV, VCP-DT, VCAP-DCD, VSP, VTSP
0 Kudos
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, check your nic and might also look for pings between hosts and see if there are intermittent connections.

Regards, Harold

0 Kudos
lockmcintyre
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

Attached are screenshots of the 2 servers I am copying between.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
lockmcintyre
Contributor
Contributor

Pings are good- well unders 1ms.

0 Kudos
lockmcintyre
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I think I've narrowed down the problem but not sure why:

When trasnferring to the memory stick that the hypervisor is installed on, I am getting roughly 40MB/s, but when transferring to the datastore that I have created, only max of 3MB.

Why would this be? I have formatted the datastore with VMFS5.

I originally had a 5400rpm disk in there, so I swapped it out to a 7200rpm (this is the destination machine), and the speed improved to about 6MB/s, but it is still unacceptable speeds.

Any help appreciated!

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If I understand you correctly - you're using SCP directly on a host.

This isn't recommended for the reason that the host itself is rate limited, to prioritise guests.

Veeam has a free tool, FastSCP, that claims to work around this.

Really, the supported solution is to use the VMware converter to move hosts, rather than SCP (which is disabled by default for a reason).

0 Kudos